Black Fibres On White Sugarpaste

Decorating By heroes Updated 29 Jun 2011 , 4:44am by charliecakes

heroes Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 11:40am
post #1 of 8

Arrrrggghhh, does anyone out there have a little trick to get shut of those horrid black fibres, I wipe my table down with hot soapy water, rinse and when dry I wipe the table down with some white sugarpaste (that obviously gets thrown away after), but flippin eck they just pop straight back on to my sugapaste, I have a white apron and make sure there is no black anywhere in my kitchen, pleeeeaasssee help me, I have a white wedding cake to do in 2 weeks time, yikes.
Karen x

7 replies
sugarxosugar143 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 8

are you wiping/drying your hands on a colored cloth? my apron is white also and this would happen to me but then i realized everytime i washed my hands i would dry them on a dark blue cloth...now everytime i wash my hands or wash the table ect i only use papertowels and now i dont see the little fibers at all! hope that helps!

charliecakes Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 8

I also have this problem sometimes. so irritating. no matter what I do seems to always be a few fibers. What's the secret?

blissfulbaker Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 8

I delint with a scrap piece of fondant or gum paste. Wipe down your work area, hands and rolling pin with a piece of fondant then throw it away. I am interested to see what other people do to get rid of the lint.

sugarxosugar143 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulbaker

I delint with a scrap piece of fondant or gum paste. Wipe down your work area, hands and rolling pin with a piece of fondant then throw it away. I am interested to see what other people do to get rid of the lint.

thats a great idea! ill have to try that! icon_smile.gif

gbbaker Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 8

I also use a piece of fondant to clean my area,also I wear 100% cotton white shirt, polyester blends seem to hold onto dark fibers.

Chellescakes Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 4:19am
post #7 of 8

I roll out between plastic sheets with a little cornflour on them, It protects the icing from airborne fibres, I also don't wear anything that has fluff or fibres that come out , I have several tops that I use when I am decorating they are made of smooth fabrics like crepes , chiffons , satines .

I used to wear these sort of clothes to dog shows, I figured if dog hair would'nt stick to these fabrics then either would fluff or fibres that might comprised my pristin icing.

charliecakes Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 4:44am
post #8 of 8

Great thanks for all the tips ladies. I will be sure to try the rolling between sheets and already wear white flat clothing...maybe im not cleaning my area well enough for airborne fibers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%