Black Fibres On White Sugarpaste

Decorating By heroes Updated 29 Jun 2011 , 4:44am by charliecakes

heroes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 11:40am
post #1 of 8

Arrrrggghhh, does anyone out there have a little trick to get shut of those horrid black fibres, I wipe my table down with hot soapy water, rinse and when dry I wipe the table down with some white sugarpaste (that obviously gets thrown away after), but flippin eck they just pop straight back on to my sugapaste, I have a white apron and make sure there is no black anywhere in my kitchen, pleeeeaasssee help me, I have a white wedding cake to do in 2 weeks time, yikes.
Karen x

7 replies
 sugarxosugar143  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarxosugar143 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 8

are you wiping/drying your hands on a colored cloth? my apron is white also and this would happen to me but then i realized everytime i washed my hands i would dry them on a dark blue cloth...now everytime i wash my hands or wash the table ect i only use papertowels and now i dont see the little fibers at all! hope that helps!

charliecakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 8

I also have this problem sometimes. so irritating. no matter what I do seems to always be a few fibers. What's the secret?

blissfulbaker  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 8

I delint with a scrap piece of fondant or gum paste. Wipe down your work area, hands and rolling pin with a piece of fondant then throw it away. I am interested to see what other people do to get rid of the lint.

sugarxosugar143  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarxosugar143 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulbaker

I delint with a scrap piece of fondant or gum paste. Wipe down your work area, hands and rolling pin with a piece of fondant then throw it away. I am interested to see what other people do to get rid of the lint.

thats a great idea! ill have to try that! icon_smile.gif

gbbaker  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 8

I also use a piece of fondant to clean my area,also I wear 100% cotton white shirt, polyester blends seem to hold onto dark fibers.

Chellescakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 4:19am
post #7 of 8

I roll out between plastic sheets with a little cornflour on them, It protects the icing from airborne fibres, I also don't wear anything that has fluff or fibres that come out , I have several tops that I use when I am decorating they are made of smooth fabrics like crepes , chiffons , satines .

I used to wear these sort of clothes to dog shows, I figured if dog hair would'nt stick to these fabrics then either would fluff or fibres that might comprised my pristin icing.

charliecakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 4:44am
post #8 of 8

Great thanks for all the tips ladies. I will be sure to try the rolling between sheets and already wear white flat clothing...maybe im not cleaning my area well enough for airborne fibers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%