How To Start Off? I Have No Idea!

Business By badly_drawn_girl Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 2:42pm by badly_drawn_girl

badly_drawn_girl Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:37am
post #1 of 3

Hey, im a 18 year old student from Irleand and I want to start a proper Baking business. I've been making cakes for about 3 years and i am absolutely enamoured with everything to do with it. I have become obsessed!

I sorta do have a baking business at the moment, I started making cakes for my friends birthdays and then people started telling their friends and loads of people wanted a specialty cake.

My problem is Pricing and getting myself known.

At the moment I dont make that much of a profit from the cakes, because i am starting out i feel i shouldnt charge what big baking companies are charging, but by the time the cake is actually made it costs basically as much as im charging! How do you figure out how much to charge people, is it by how many people it is to serve or the complexity of the design or what??

Also I dont really know how to get myself known, i have literally just started a blog this week and a guy i made a wedding cake for is making me a website to operate from but i would like to reach a bigger crowd, could i have suggestions on how to do this? I was thinkin of brnging some of my well known biscuits and treats to farmers market stalls and all that, but it doesnt really help me on the creative cake front??

I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me on these subjects as even though im young i dont want it to hold me back by not being knowledgeable about all these things, and i feel such a novice compared to most of you on this site.

Thank you, Rebecca

My blog: http://piped-dreams-blog.blogspot.com/

2 replies
jason_kraft Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:50am
post #2 of 3

From the business side, you will first want to make sure that you can legally sell food made from home. In the US some states allow this and some don't, not sure how it works in Ireland. The people responsible for food safety in your local government should be able to help you out there. Definitely hold off on advertising until you find out if you are legal or not.

Regarding setting prices for a product, a good formula to use is to add up the cost of the ingredients, the cost of your labor (the number of hours it takes to make the product * the hourly wage you pay yourself), and your overhead costs (extra utilities, license fees, insurance, etc.) divided on a per-order basis, then add 20-30% for your profit margin.

badly_drawn_girl Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 3

I have done the neccessary food courses set out by the government which allows me to make food safely and for it to be at a good quality to sell. I have done all the back-up work like that but just dont really know how to reach the audiences that i want to get now that i have set everything up

Thanks so much for the pricing tips! That seems like a really good way to do it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%