Help!!!! First Time With A Tiered Cakes On Pillers Help!!!!

Decorating By heater79 Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 3:48pm by heater79

heater79 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:30am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone!!!
I will be doing this wedding cake shortly, I have 1 problem. I am not sure (being first time with this kind of set up) how to measure for the right length of the pillars so the stairs/bridges will reach and not be to short or long. I prefer stacked cakes...lol....this being why, my math sucks. LOL

In the pic there will be no fountain, the 2 front cakes (alone ones) will be on the table and the 3 tiered cakes will be lowered down.
So I need to know how and what i measure to find out what length pillars i need. Thanks

11 replies
CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:53am
post #3 of 12

If you have a variety of pillar sizes to play around with along with separator plates and pans (or dummies), it might help you to visualize how it will work out.

Sometimes the setup requires different height pillars for some of the satellite cakes than the others. If the stairs are too short and don't reach the top of a tier, you might be able to adjust by inserting the top into a lower portion of the main cake and, if needed, also piling flowers onto the top tier where the stairs end. If the stairs are too long, just insert more of it into the cake. Most importantly, keep the stairways level or they look awful.

CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:10am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by heater79

In the pic there will be no fountain, the 2 front cakes (alone ones) will be on the table and the 3 tiered cakes will be lowered down.

The photo wasn't attached when I started my reply... now that I've seen the photo, I see the main cake is jacked up (under the table coverings), and the satellites, too (with the harvest cherub pillars). If you're not having a fountain, will the main cake setup also be directly on the table or will it be up on the fountain tier set for height without using the fountain in between?

I also notice that those stairways aren't inserted into the main cake, they're just resting on the edge of the tier with the spiked portions exposed in between the pillars.

CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:41am
post #5 of 12

Basic rule... you need an 8" drop to use the filligree stairway without the bridge, and a 7" drop to use it with the bridge.

So, 5" pillars with a 3" tall tier fills the gap without improvising, or 5" pillars with a 4" tall tier--and the stairway is inserted lower at the top end or jacked up a bit at the lower end.

heater79 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:12am
post #6 of 12

The fountain will not be there, but the main cake will not be on the table, it will still be on pillars just not that high.
I do not have any separator plates and pillars to play around with (I wish..lol) because this is my first cake i do not have the equipment, and was hoping to get it figured out before i buy.
I am not using a bridge, just the stairs. The pillars in the pic and the stairs do not have to be the same.

heater79 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:16am
post #7 of 12

do i measure the length of the stairs(is that the drop?)

heater79 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:18am
post #8 of 12

And when you say make sure the stairway is level or it looks off....meaning the actual stairs to be level?
Lol never thought of that aspect, walking up stairs that are pointing up!!! Haha

CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:52am
post #9 of 12

No, don't measure the length of the stairs. The drop, means that you need to "allow for an 8" difference in height from top to bottom of stairway if you do not join the stairway to the bridge."--Wilton

Yes, the steps on the stairway need to remain level.

heater79 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 12

Sorry if i seem to be asking silly questions....but how do you get the 8" drop, what do you measure to get the 8"......or is it always a 8" drop no matter what kind of stairs or pillars you use?!!!

CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by heater79

Sorry if i seem to be asking silly questions....but how do you get the 8" drop, what do you measure to get the 8"......or is it always a 8" drop no matter what kind of stairs or pillars you use?!!!

I don't think all stairways have the same drop, but I specified "Filligree"... that set does. You don't need to measure anything--Wilton did it for you... it is what it is--8". If I tried to explain it better than Wilton, I'd say hold the stairway level on a flat surface... the triangular space under the stairway is 8" tall at the highest point straight down to the table. Does that make sense?

heater79 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you soooooooo much you have been a fantastic help!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%