Need Help Converting. Rv Cheesecake

Baking By kimbordeaux Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 6:56pm by FromScratchSF

kimbordeaux Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 11

Found this recipe online it looks delish! Only problem is I cannot convert it to cups, ounces... Also, not sure what some of the ingredients are. What is castor and icing sugar? Can anyone help? Thanks! If anyone has tried this recipe before how was it?

Restaurateur Catherine Lau demonstrates how to make Red Velvet Cheesecake during a workshop at Signature Kitchen organized by Flavours.

Beetroot Sponge:
335g superfine cake flour (also known as high-ratio or low-protein flour)
40g cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons fine salt
4 Grade A eggs
200g caster sugar
335ml vegetable oil, warmed
2 teaspoons vanilla flavouring
120ml beetroot juice from 1 large beetroot mixed with 2 teaspoons bright red colouring (optional)
250ml buttermilk (or 230ml milk mixed with 20ml lemon juice, left to stand for 10 minutes)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar

Cream Cheese Filling:
450ml whipping cream, chilled
40g icing sugar
500g cream cheese at room temperature, chopped
90g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla flavouring
45ml water mixed with 7g gelatine powder (or 10g for a firmer filling), dissolved in a double boiler for 10 minutes
2 tablespoons Irish cream or Jamaican dark rum

cocoa powder, for dusting

10 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:33am
post #2 of 11

hello, this looks like a UK recipe... caster sugar is super fine sugar, icing sugar is powdered sugar.

you can convert grams to ounces in google - just type in XXXg = ?oz and it'll convert. converting into cups is very tricky, measuring in cups is by volume but each ingredient has a different volume to weight, so your best best is to just weigh.

Looks like a good recipe though.

Jen

kimbordeaux Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 1:36am
post #3 of 11

Jen,
Thanks! I do have a digital scale at shop. I know it has grams I hope theres a way to measure ml also. I did find that one of my big measuring cups has ml on it but not some of the specific measurements in recipe.

Kim

pastrygirls Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:07am
post #4 of 11

ml measure the same as grams. so 1000 ml is 1000 g. (ml is usually used for liquid but you can scale it the same) thats the wonder of the metric system.

FromScratchSF Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:26am
post #5 of 11

It's like the difference between ounces and fluid ounces. One measures weight, one volume. Metric has grams (weight, dry ingredients) and liters (volume, liquid ingredients).

Many measuring cups have ml on them, but you should also be able to do XXXml = ?cups in google and it should work.

You have to post how this recipe goes when you make it!

Jen

auzzi Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 8:16am
post #6 of 11

Beetroot Sponge:
335g superfine cake flour [3.5 cups]
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons fine salt
4 Grade A eggs [4 x large eggs]
200g caster sugar [scant 1 cup superfine sugar]
335ml vegetable oil, warmed [1.4 cups]
2 teaspoons vanilla flavouring
120ml beetroot juice [1/2 cup] from 1 large beetroot mixed with 2 teaspoons bright red colouring (optional)
250ml buttermilk [1 cup + 4 teaspoons][1 tablespoon juice plus 1 cup milk]
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda [baking soda]
2 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar

Cream Cheese Filling:
450ml whipping cream, chilled [just under 2 cups]
40g icing sugar [1/4 cup]
500g cream cheese at room temperature, chopped [16 oz]
90g icing sugar [about 2/3 cups powdered sugar]
1 teaspoon vanilla flavouring
45ml water [3 tablespoons] mixed with 7g gelatine powder[2 teaspoons] (or 10g for a firmer filling), dissolved in a double boiler for 10 minutes
2 tablespoons Irish cream or Jamaican dark rum

Bluehue Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:19am
post #7 of 11

Well done Aussie thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

other CC's - Just remember that the metric Tablespoon is 20ml and the Imperial Tablespoon is equal to 15ml

Bluehue

kimbordeaux Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you Auzzi! I will try this recipe now. I tried a non-cooking cheesecake recipe yesterday that I found on the back of a gelatin box and it was gross. It tasted like cheesecake flavored jello, yuck. Thank you again! Can't wait to try this recipe now.

~Kim

FromScratchSF Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 11

Because I'm OCD, I saw the conversion Auzzi posted (which was super nice of you to do!). The flour/sugar ratio for this recipe seemed off to to me, so I did a double-take... This is a genoise only using oil instead of butter! Are you an experienced baker, and do you have detailed instructions? These are advanced cakes to make correctly, and Americans don't really like them because we are so used to "moist" tender cakes loaded with sugar - and by design genoise are neither moist, tender or sweet. They are springy literally like a sponge and generally you soak them with a flavored simple syrup to make them moist and sweeter. The filling has lots of powdered sugar so this might even out the sweetness.

So........ don't beat yourself up if you attempt to make this cake and it doesn't work out or you don't like it! And let me know how it goes!

kimbordeaux Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 11

FromScratchSF,
I was about to try this recipe, glad I read your post. I honestly don't care for moist and sweet but since 99% of the cakes I make are not for me I should find another RV recipe. I will still try the whole idea behind this recipe, basically covering a RV cake with cheesecake. I will try her cheesecake recipe because the one I tried yesterday was gross. Thanks all!
~Kim

FromScratchSF Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 11

Still try the filling then, and use an American red velvet cake recipe in place of the genoise. Honestly I was put off by the cake in the 1st place because it uses beets - I've tried several RV cakes made with beet juice - and no bueno - I don't likey. But filling made with gelatin? Could be interesting.

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%