What Is She Up To And What Would You Do??

Decorating By Bubbl3h3ad Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 12:03am by all4cake

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 5

I had someone email me to ask me to make them an airplane groom's cake. I emailed her back to ask her the details, such as date of the wedding, what kind of airplane, how many people she wanted to serve with it, ect. It turns out that she wanted a particular fighter plane that has a very thin body and a lot of small parts all over it. I emailed her back and said that I didn't think it would be reasonable to make the plane out of cake, as you would have to make it HUGE to get 75 servings from it. I suggested that maybe she get a sheet cake with the plane on top or make some clouds out of cake with the plane on top. So she emailed me back and said, "No big deal, lol. Would you be able to make the plane only?"

I came close to emailing her back, "I make cakes, not airplanes."

What is up with her? First she wants a cake, now she wants an airplane only? Do you think she feels like she could save money by making the cake herself and getting the plane from me? I'm not doing it but I don't even know how to respond to her in a tactful way.

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 5

It sounds like she just wanted an airplane-shaped cake the whole time (no sheet cake, no clouds). Since this a groom's cake there will probably be a main wedding cake which will be used to serve the guests, and the airplane cake will be just for show.

If you're comfortable making the airplane I don't see why you wouldn't accept the order if she is willing to pay what you're asking. Chances are when you quote her the price she will be more amenable to an alternative, e.g. if you charge $600 for the 3D sculpted fighter jet that serves 15 and $150 for a sheet cake with a picture of the fighter jet that serves 50.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 5

No, I do not thinking she is being unreasonable or anything. Do you know the significance of this particular plane? Sounds like its not just a random airplane cake...which is why the plane is more important that the amount of servings, its to represent something. Give her the quote of just the plane! you already made her aware that the cake is not going to yield many servings!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 5

If she says she wants 75 servings from it, it does look as though she intends to serve it. Obviously that's not going to be either a small plane, or a cheap cake...but if you're confident making it then quote a generous price (generous to YOU that is!) and you'll find out how badly she wants it.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:03am
post #5 of 5

I agree. If you're in a position to fulfill the order, send her the quote. It doesn't sound like an extraordinary request for a customer or a competitor ( icon_twisted.gif ) to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%