The Knot Asks...

Decorating By cakedoff Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 5:07pm by jennifercullen

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 10

"You told us the best wedding advice youve been given, now share the worst!" My response was "Advice from The Knot: "Cut your cake servings in half to save money at your reception" REALLY DUMB!" So, what do the rest of you think?

9 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 10

Have a dummy cake and serve sheet cakes - its cheaper.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:41am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

Have a dummy cake and serve sheet cakes - its cheaper.

Ditto! icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:44am
post #4 of 10

ditto x 3.

Paying for your cake twice is always a money saver. <sarcasm

cakedoff Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:52am
post #5 of 10

Ha! Thanks Leah...thinking the same thing. WHAT is more significant of a wedding tradition than the cake. I say cut out all the ridiculously heavy appetizers so folks can enjoy their meal and the following fabulous cake!

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:50am
post #6 of 10

I charge for the dummies and to decorate the dummies.. so to have the dummy cake and then purchase sheet cakes which I don't do.. I only do layer cakes for the kitchen they aren't saving money in the long run.

Also, this making less servings than your guests is nonsence.. What are you going to do put a sign on the tables.. cake and no cake? so that people
can choose. Or auction cake pieces off to the highest bidder, and the money going to the bride and groom?

If you want to save money get rid of the silly favors, and the long food appitizer hours. And thousands for a dress??? really/???
But forbid $300 -500 for a desert for your reception.. a piece of art!!..

cakedoff Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:08am
post #7 of 10

Yup, Labmom,...Let's pay $5 - $8 a head for appetizer to spoil the dinner, but, not spend $3 - $5 a head for a grand dessert or a artwork to admire. Doesn't make much sense.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 10

This isn't really the worst advice but I get tired of hearing this:

"You should start a business!"

Just because I made a cake that you can't make, doesn't mean I have the skill set to sell them...nor is it legal in CA, nor do I know anything about starting a business.

People are shocked when I say I would rather work in someone elses bakery decorating

1Cake-At-ATime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1Cake-At-ATime Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 10

Watch...I predict the next thread will start with "SHE ASKED FOR A DUMMY WEDDING CAKE FOR FREE?!"

lol

The best wedding advise I have would be to spend as much on a cake, as you would a ring. We have price tag rules for everything else dealing with the wedding (ring must be 3 times his pay, etc), what about the cake?

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:07pm
post #10 of 10

@amygorton I have that too! One of my friends has recently done a business course round here which on completion she got a business start up grant and she amongst others are practically begging me all the time to start a business cake decorating, I try to explain to them that I may be good enough to wow you, but actually if you paid 2 or 3 or 4 times the price from a 'professional' bakery I doubt you'd be as impressed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%