Would You Have Fixed It Or Left It Alone?

Decorating By augurey Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 10:02pm by kakeladi

augurey Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 3

My boyfriend's sister got married this last Saturday.

As I got to the reception, my boyfriends aunt came to me panicked because the wedding cake was leaning. The topper had fallen off as well and took a bit of cake/icing with it.

I didn't make the cake (an old teacher of the bride made it), but they know I've been getting into the cake thing and asked for my help.

There were 5 tiers (looked like 14, 12, 10, 8, 6). The topper was a heavy-ish ceramic topper. My boyfriend's sister checked with the baker (when asking her to make it) to make sure it wasn't too heavy and was advised that it wasn't. The top 4 tiers did not look like there were any issues; it was the second from the bottom that was tipping backwards into the bottom layer.

Just from what I've read and have tried myself, to me it looked like there wasn't enough support in the bottom layer (as the remaining looked like they were being supported well). I explained this to the aunt and the guy who was in charge of the catering.

My only suggestion was to them is to either disassemble or to disassemble and get more support in the bottom layer and reassemble (if they did not wish to totally disassemble). The bridal party still had about 30-45 minutes to arrive.

They ended up taking off the top two layers and placed the topper on the third tier. It didn't fall any more than it had after that. My boyfriend's sister didn't seem upset by it, so I mean I guess that's what counts.

Upon further reflection, I now realize I could have driven home and grabbed some dowel rods and put them in to get more support into it as the reception was about 5 minutes from home. I feel bad thinking I could have fixed the leaning so my boyfriend's sister could of had her full 5 tiered cake, but I ended up not -- as I hadn't thought about it.

But on further reflection I know that I would have been too nervous to do it. I've only done very minimal work with tiers and dowel rods, and I would have felt awful if my inexperience would have completely destroyed her cake instead of just letting her have her disassembled cake.

Though even if I had felt comfortable fixing it, I feel it might have been wrong to fix someone else's cake (whether or not there was a chance it could have gotten more ruined). I don't really know the moral thing to do here; whether it would have been wrong to try and fix it (as they weren't going to call the decorator) to try and help restore it or if it would have been okay to fix it so it wouldn't have fallen.

I'm sitting here feeling really bad and conflicted about the situation, and should this situation arise in the future (though I think I have many (or any) weddings to attend in the future), I'm not sure how I should handle the situation. I feel like I should have done more, but not sure if doing more would have been wrong.

What would everyone else have done? What should I do in the future if this situation happens again? Should I have suggested call the decorator?

2 replies
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 3

You could put dowels into an assembled cake (without taking it apart?) Because in 30 minutes I couldn't have dome much of anything.

I think you made the right decision. If you'd made it worse, you would never have heard the end of it.

kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 3

I agree w/Leah. The only thing I might have done different was have them call the decorator.

Quote by @%username% on %date%