So What Do Y'all Do When You're Not Cakin'?

Lounge By bobwonderbuns Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 8:03pm by ForTheLoveOfFrosting

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 17

Hi Everyone! I just got done with the cake from HADES tapedshut.gif and now I'm ready to put my feet up and relax. That got me to thinking though, what do y'all do to relax when you're not cakin? I like to paint -- oils, Bob Ross style and read. I'm a voracious reader. I'm curious as to what everyone else does. icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
Elcee Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 17

LOL, bobwonderbuns, caking IS what I do to relax! At least during the school year when my real job as an alternative school secretary/registrar keeps me on my toes. I also like to read, I'm a regular at my local library. I love to cook, especially when I have plenty of time. I putter in my yard; I can't really call it gardening because I'm terrible at it and just manage to keep it presentable, although my lilies are lovely this year.

myslady Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:11am
post #3 of 17

In no particular order: Reading, play games on facebook, visit family, go out walking, watch a good movie (I'm currently into old movies 1920's through 60's) find something else creative to do.

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 17

I read, ride my bike at least 5 miles a day (I know that's not much but for me it's a good start icon_biggrin.gif ), watch movies with hubby, do sewing projects with my kids, and take care of my pets...I have 4 birds, a fish tank, 2 dogs and 4 hedgehogs.

poohsmomma Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 17

I also love to read, but haven't really been reading much lately. I swim in the mornings, like to hike with friends, and play with my grandchildren.

MnSnow Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 17

18 Grandkids---nuf said icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

18 Grandkids---nuf said icon_smile.gif

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif WOW!! It's amazing you have time to cake!! icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:47am
post #8 of 17

I just wrote a blog entry for next week about how I play Runescape like the dork that I am...I haven't done that a lot recently, though. I have the weekend off, and I'll probably do paperwork and clean my cake storage room in my spare time!

When the new Zelda game comes out for the Wii I will be devoting every spare moment to that.

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:59am
post #9 of 17

Run around after 2 kids and a hubby..Kids just finished school here and my MIL came to visit so I haven't had much time to relax and then add cake orders on top of that...I also like to watch movies,spend time with my family....

mommachris Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 17

Some day I'll have 18 grandkids....

For now I have nine children living at home. The oldest is 20 and in college.
She is my best friend and seems to need me more than the little ones right now.
The youngest is nearly 3 and just showing interest in potty training.

Oh, and I homeschool them.

Caking is something I do for me. icon_wink.gif

mommachris

MnSnow Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 17

I so agree with Mommachris!!

I schedule out my time and make sure to pencil in time for the kids and personal life. Those take priority icon_smile.gif They won't always be young and people will always be getting married, having birthdays and such.

I still seem to be plenty busy baking cakes for customers icon_smile.gif

mim1106 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 17

My mom had a Ross painting above her couch icon_smile.gif I love it, but my sister has it now. Since I just make cakes for the guys in my husband's squadron, that's what I do for fun. icon_smile.gif

amygortoncakes Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 17

I am like a lot others on here with kids. I have 2 boys Jack (4) and Charlie (3).

I run a playgroup for them with about 20 kids their age. We have been meeting 2-3 times a week since most of them were crawling. So they are all best friends, and luckily us Moms get along great.

Today we went to Legoland. Yesterday the boys both learned how to swim...like jumping into the deep end without arm floaties and swam to the the side. Crazy.

Since I am busy with them I can only make cakes late at night, or if my Mom comes and takes them somewhere.

SweetpeasBakery Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 5:13am
post #14 of 17

I groom dogs as my full time job currently (while my cake business is still in the making!)

I also tend to my veggie garden & small jungle of indoor houseplants, love cooking, art projects (paintings, crafty stuff, etc), spending time with my 3 dogs and pet rat, go biking and hiking and really anything outdoorsy! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 11:29am
post #15 of 17

work practically full time nights at a hotel.
go to school full time during the day.
I took the summer off during the summer and have picked up my crochet hook again (see my summer creations on my facebook page).

But the most important thing right now is a very very special project I'm working on with my sister. It has a deadline and we dont' know what that deadline is since she's in month 17 of a 9-month life expectancy. So since she's living on borrowed time, I'm pretty much spending every single spare waking second conferring with her on this project.

Curtsmin24 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 8:38am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

But the most important thing right now is a very very special project I'm working on with my sister. It has a deadline and we dont' know what that deadline is since she's in month 17 of a 9-month life expectancy. So since she's living on borrowed time, I'm pretty much spending every single spare waking second conferring with her on this project.

Hugs Indydebi, that is the most important project of all.

I spend my time with my 6 month old Makayla. She keeps me pretty busy. I also ventured into cookie decorating and scrapbooking. I'm not the girly girl type so making hairbows for her was not going to cut it.

ForTheLoveOfFrosting Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 8:03pm
post #17 of 17

I also "cake" to relax... though sometimes the deadlines and details keep me up for 30+ hours straight and not very relaxed at all! He's my biggest helper - so when he's not on duty, he's in the kitchen right along with me! My daughter is a competitive dancer, so I spend quite a bit of my spare time watching her dance/compete.

I've convinced my husband that we need a tropical vacation every year, so I spend a LOT of time planning for them... We both have very high-stress careers so we try to escape often.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%