Recipes Needed - Pumpkin And Red Velvet

Baking By twingirls05 Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 4:47am by Osgirl

twingirls05 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:58am
post #1 of 12

I need a good pumpkin cake recipe and a good red velvet recipe that will hold up well for cupcakes. Any favorites anyone is willing to share?

11 replies
Mexx Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 12

Found the recipe for red velvet cake on this site at:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15519/1920s-waldorf-astoria-red-velvet-cake.

It uses canned beets to help create the red colour (without having to add too much red food dye) and it is extremely moist. Have used it to make cupcakes and they were a hit. Sorry, can't help you with the pumpkin.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 12

Sarah's red velvet on this site is very good and I get great reviews on it.

cakegirl1973 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 12

The pumpkin wasc recipe is really good. I served it instead of pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, and everyone loved it.

Narie Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 12

This is one of my favorite recipes.

Pumpkin Bars
This cake is good and moist; it is also very easy to whip together.
Bars:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup currants or raisins (I use golden rasins.)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 cup oil
16 oz. can pumpkin
4 eggs

Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup margarine or butter, softened
3 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 Tablespoon. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. grated orange peel

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 15x10" jelly roll pan. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, blend all bar ingredients at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
In small bowl, combine all frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over cooled bars. Refrigerate leftovers. 48 bars.

FACSlady Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 12

I used this one for my pumpkin cake and got raves. If you can find it, substitute instant pumpkin pudding.
I use Cakeman Raven's red velvet recipe, but add anothder tablespoon of cocoa. Also raves.

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 12

If you check in my signature, you'll find all the recipe links. Go to the Gourmet Flavors one and find MacsMoms Red Velvet cake. It's TO DIE for!!! icon_biggrin.gif

FACSlady Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 12

Ok, it would help if I'd copied the recipe!

Pumpkin Bundt Cake
By: Lucille Noyd
Servings (Help)
US Metric Calculate
Original Recipe Yield 16 servings
Ingredients
  1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
  1 (3.4 ounce) package instant butterscotch pudding mix
  4 eggs
  1/4 cup water
  1/4 cup vegetable oil
  1 cup canned pumpkin
  2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  Whipped cream
Directions
1.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium for 4 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with whipped cream if desired.

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:19pm
post #9 of 12

Here's MacsMoms red velvet cake recipe -- it's to die for!! It does make 26 cups batter though, so either go by the chart and make lots of little cakes, OR half the recipe and go from there. I highly recommend it!

Red Velvet Cake - MacsMom *If you don't have 100 mouths to feed, lol, just use 1 box white and measure out 1/2 of the chocolate cake mix, and obviously use half of all the other ingredients.
2 boxes white cake mix
1 box dark chocolate cake mix
2 pkg chocolate pudding
2 teaspoons salt
3 c flour
3 c sugar
3 c sour cream
3 cups vanilla coffee creamer
1 cup water
1/3 c oil
9 eggs
2 tablespoons butter flavoring
2 (1oz) jars Wilton red-red

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 12

Ah twingirls05, are you there? Have we helped any??

pmarks0 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:00am
post #11 of 12

If you're looking for a scratch Red Velvet, I have used Cake Man Raven's, but lately I've been making Bobby Flay's recipe. I believe be beat Cake Man Raven in a Throwdown with this recipe. Either way, both are good.

Osgirl Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:47am
post #12 of 12

I use this recipe for red velvet:
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/red_velvet_cupcakes_with_cream_cheese_frosting/

I've also use Paula Deen's, but this one is better IMO. Instead of vinegar I use apple cider vinegar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%