Gerber Fondante Or Gum Past Flowers

Decorating By Ali28 Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 11:50am by Bluehue

Ali28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali28 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:03am
post #1 of 2

Can anyone tell me how much in advance I can store flowers that are created with fondant or gumpast? I need to make 30 Gerbera Daisies but I don't know if I can store them for a while.

1 reply
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:50am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali28

Can anyone tell me how much in advance I can store flowers that are created with fondant or gumpast?

Certainly Ali - i can help you with this.

I need to make 30 Gerbera Daisies but I don't know if I can store them for a while.

You can make them as far in advance as you wish/able too.
Certain conditions will help you keep them as good as what you first make them.

Make sure that they are kept away from natural light as they can and do fade - (coloured ones that is)

Ensure that you keep them as dry as possible so as no moisture softens them.
If you are in an area of high humidty - i suggest that you keep them in a box with some of the little absorbent sachets (like what you find in shoe boxes.)

Don't make them from straight Fondant - as they are likely to wilt/go limp when bought out of their box.

Gumpaste prefers to be kept warmer and dryer than cool and damp.

Make sure that they are completly dry and hard before you store them.

If you need to store them so as to retain their shape - you can use a clean egg carton to help form and keep the orignal shape.
or if you have and are using the flower forming moulds - great.

Where i live the humidty is a killer in summer time - so for my room where i keep my gumpaste shapes i switch on my oil colunm heater - as that not only keeps the room at a certain temp but keeps the air dry.

If i know 3 months in advance i need certain flowers/shapes then if i have the time - i will make them and store them away in that room...ready for my cake in 3 months.

Hope some of this has helped you...

Bluehue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%