Different Bakers At The Same Wedding???

Business By sebrina Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 4:02pm by nanahaley

sebrina Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 4:05am
post #1 of 10

So, I have been approached twice this weekend with this... icon_confused.gif
Once was a girl whose friend is making her wedding cake & she needs someone to make her grooms cake. And now a second time for a small cutting cake & they will serve cupcakes to the guests. Is this normal? Granted I live in a fairly small community & everyone is painfully budget conscience.
Any thoughts on this? I'm not sure where the cupcakes are coming from & I don't know anything about the 'friend' making the cake. I don't know if I want to get involved in these or not...

9 replies
mena2002 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 4:25am
post #2 of 10

If you feel uncomfortable with it then tell them that you're sorry but you won't be able to take their order.

KathysCC Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 10

It is not uncommon for different people to make the groom's cake and the wedding cake. I see it all the time. Many people choose to get a professional baker for the wedding cake and have a friend or family member make the groom's cake because it saves them money and often a family member feels good about helping in this way. I would not be concerned at all.

A cake order is an order. If someone asks you to make a cake for a function where other cakes are being served, I would not be concerned at all.

kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 10

Many bakers on here (& I did when I had my shop) have a policy that if other cakes(s) are present they will NOT leave the cake - only one baker allowed per event. Reason being: it's the bakery's reputation at stake. If 'kitchen cakes' /cuppies are offered *and* Your cake is also served with one being horrible - dry, stale just plain YUCK, who is going to explain that there were two different bakers? Guests will think XYZ bakery made the cake so that's what their cakes are like.
On one of those 'big name' cake TV shows a couple of decorators said they were making the groom's cake and someone else was making the bride's cake. It didn't seem to bother these big name bakers so why should it bother any of us? Most of us are just as good (or in some cases better) than those so-called 'big names' icon_smile.gif

madicakes Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 10

I would feel a little uncomfortable with the situtation, especially the first where someone else is making the wedding cake but you are making the groom's cake. I just imagine everyone thinking that the same bakery having done both and something being wrong with the wedding cake. Of course, if it's a friend of the bride who is doing it, she will be there telling everyone she did the cake, so maybe that is not an issue. I guess, if you don't feel comfortable with it then I wouldn't do it....trust your gut.

jason_kraft Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Many bakers on here (& I did when I had my shop) have a policy that if other cakes(s) are present they will NOT leave the cake - only one baker allowed per event. Reason being: it's the bakery's reputation at stake.

This has been discussed several times here -- it really comes down to your comfort level at the time the customer places the order. When you deliver the cake it's really too late to enforce a sole source provision unless you want to guarantee significant damage to your reputation (by leaving the venue and taking the cake with you) versus leaving the cake there and taking the chance people will confuse it with other baked goods at the event.

Our policy is that we specifically allow other baked goods at the event as long as we are notified up-front, and we print up tent cards identifying each item. Since we specialize in allergy-friendly cakes there have been several instances where cakes from other bakers are at the event.

ranae5463 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 10

I am also from a large, but small town atmosphere and when my cousin's daughter married they had one cousin (who had a legal shop) from the dad's side make the wedding cake and they asked me (hobby baker) to make the groom's cake, which was a Fat Tire beer can. A few months later one of sisters of the above cousin's daughter got married they did the same, one cake with the legal shop and asked me to make the groom's cake.

debbief Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 10

I've been asked to make my Nephew's Groom's cake next month. I'm a hobby caker and this will be a gift to the couple. I think they asked since we're family and it's more of a personalized type of cake. He was pretty specific in the "theme". He wants a tractor, teddy bear and a pheasant. I was actually very touched that they asked me.

I have seen this topic mentioned before so I wondered how the wedding cake vendor might feel about it. But now that it's come up again, I'm starting to re-think. I don't even know if they mentioned this to the wedding cake vendor. Thinking back to when I got married, I don't know if I would have even thought to bring the subject up. Although I had never even heard of a groom's cake when I got married icon_redface.gif

LKing12 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 10

Two weekends ago I had the reverse happen to me. The Mother of the groom, a friend from church asked if I would do the groom's cake-the bride had forgotten about ordering one. So, I said yes. If people want to know who baked what-they ask...

nanahaley Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 10

I would be hesitant to take the orders since you don't know anything about the quality of the product by the other bakers and you have your reputation to protect. Whichever way you decide, you need to set a policy now as to accepting these orders or not because once you do it will be hard to turn them down later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%