Zebra Fondant

Decorating By TheHeat Updated 2 Jul 2011 , 3:53am by mena2002

TheHeat Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:30am
post #1 of 11

What is the best way to make zebra print out of fondant? Should I just cut the print and attach it onto the white or attach the black then try to roll the fondant out again so that it's smooth?
Any other suggestions?

10 replies
snazzygem Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:36am
post #2 of 11

I first covered my cake in pink fondant and then I just cut the stripes out of black and attached them to my cake (see my photos). It was very easy because the stripes don't have to be perfect at all!

Good Luck!
Kate

cownsj Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:35am
post #3 of 11

I did it for the first time a couple weeks ago. I was nervous about it too. I did mine on a neon green. Like snazzygem said, just cut your pieces and attach on top of the base color fondant. You'll find you end up having lots of fun with it.

BurnsyJ Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:49am
post #4 of 11

Here's one I did last month.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2049608

I rolled out the black and just started cutting it in squiggle and "Y" patterns. I then brushed the cake down with a little water and started applying the stripes. I just wish that I would have rolled the black a little thinner.

heartsnsync Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 11

I have done the zebra pattern the way the other posters have said, but I have also done it so the fondant was smooth and the stripes were not raised as in the other method. To do this you have to prepare a bit.

First, roll out your black pretty thin and cut out your zebra stripes and make sure to cover them so they don't dry out.

Then roll out your white fondant a bit thicker than what you want your finished thickness to be.

Then, I add a very light coating of shortening to the white and then quickly add the black stripes and roll.

If your black and white fondant is not still really pliable the black will not adhere. It would probably be a good idea to try it out in a small scale and see if it works for you. If not, the other method works just fine. HTH

bethw5774 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 11

Here is a fabulous link for a tutorial on zebra stripes.

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 11

I did it the lazy way...just painted the stripes on. It was fast and came out looking pretty good.

bethw5774 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 11

Here is a fabulous link for a tutorial on zebra stripes. Darn it, cant get it to post! will try again.

Moovaughan Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 11

It's all in how you want the finish... I prefer to roll out my background color and then cut random sized stripes, a little thinner because when you roll into the background color they will widen a bit. Place your stipes, roll over the entire thing with just enough pressure to recess the stripes into the background. Then voila cover your cake and you have a nice crisp smooth layer.

I have also done it by just laying stipes on after I have covered the cake in fondant and it looks good too, after all from a distance you can't really tell, I just prefer the more polished look of the other method.

TheHeat Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 2:22am
post #10 of 11

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will try the roll out way on a smaller scale as suggested. If that doesn't work, I'll try the cut out. Not sure if I have a steady enough hand for painting yet.
Thanks again!

mena2002 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:53am
post #11 of 11

I've only tried adhering the black stripes to the white. But I would love to see what it would look like when it's smoothed out. So post pics when you're done icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%