Frozen Buttercream Transfers

Decorating By snshin1993 Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 3:09pm by TexasSugar

snshin1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snshin1993 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:15am
post #1 of 10

I watched a video on frozen buttercream transfers and I'm going to attempt my first one. Does anybody know what consistancy the buttercream needs to be? firm to hold it's shape or very soft so it will fill in nicely

9 replies
momto2pottsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momto2pottsy Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:34am
post #2 of 10

I make transfers all the time and I would say the consistency of my buttercream is about medium. You don't want it too firm that it's too hard to pipe out and you don't want it to soft or it will just blend in together. I use indydebi's recipe for my buttercream and they always turn out great! HTH

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:41am
post #3 of 10

I do FBCT all the time too and I just use my regular BC for the transfers. Like momto2pottsy says... You don't want it to thick because it will be hard to pipe and you'll get air pockets and breakage but you don't want it to soft because then it will just run and blend. I always use the Wilton tube icings for my outlining though and that seems to hold shape really well and it's good for deep colors that are hard to get with BC like black and red.

Kimskakes23336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimskakes23336 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:48am
post #4 of 10

I make several FBCT each year. I use a medium consistency buttercream and I outline first. When I start to fill in, I start around the inside the of the outline and by the time I start to "color" it in, the buttercream usually softens from the warmth of my hand. It doesn't flow like colorflow.

pennyemer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennyemer Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:22am
post #5 of 10

Wow, I haven't seen this method before! It looks so easy I can't wait to try it! Wish I had seen this thread a week ago.

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:38am
post #6 of 10

I also use a medium consistency buttercream when making a FBCT, and the icing does get a bit soft depending on how much "coloring in" needs to be done, so I usually wait a few minutes to let the icing set before covering the back. princess.gif

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:19am
post #7 of 10

I have seen several pics on her where the whole cake is smooth, is that from filling in icing around the transfer the size of the cake???? Is that what you are supposed to do?

snshin1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snshin1993 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 10

thanks for the info......medium consistancy it is

hannah4965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hannah4965 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 10

When i make a fbt, medium consistancy. I love using that method, so that it comes out smooth, unlike just piping in onto the cake. I've used this method 7 times and they all came out wonderful.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendee

I have seen several pics on her where the whole cake is smooth, is that from filling in icing around the transfer the size of the cake???? Is that what you are supposed to do?

If you want the transfer to blend in with the top of the cake, then yes you want to go ahead and 'fill in' to the size of the cake.

If you want the transfer to stand above the cake a little, then you don't. All of mine are on top of the icing.

I also use a soft medium icing. Too thin and it doesn't stay frozen long enough or tends to stick to the paper when peeling it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%