White Cupcakes Tasted Eggy

Baking By baking_fool Updated 15 Jun 2015 , 4:57pm by SquirrellyCakes

baking_fool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking_fool Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 5

So I made this white cup cakes for two recipe I found on a blog sight.
the cupcakes had a perfect texture but tasted overpoweringly (lol is this a word?) eggy, kinda sulfurly hard boiled egg smell/taste. I know the egg was fresh, not rotten, the egg did not smell or any thing.

Here is the recipe
1 egg white
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 1/2 tbsp milk

mix egg and sugar, mix in butter and vanilla. Mix in flour baking powder and salt. Mix in milk. Divide into to cupcake liners bake for 12 min

Why did the they come out smelling and tasting funny? I never make white cake so am not sure if this is normal, lol I doubt it but thought I would throw it out there lol. Thanks for the help.

4 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 6:37am
post #2 of 5

Maybe you mismeasured something while mixing up the batter?

a2thebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
a2thebee Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 5

I tried the exact same recipe (found on Pinterest) had no butter so I used vegetable oil and same deal! They even tasted slightly gummy to me in texture and I couldn't get over the egg smell :(

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 5

Haven't made the recipe but what a lot of vanilla for

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 5

Ok, I don't know why that posted before I was done.  I started to say that there sure is a whole lot of vanilla for a recipe making just 2 cupcakes.

I think the issue with the eggy smell and taste is way too much egg white for this small a recipe.  Sometimes it is really hard to make a small recipe, especially when you are baking.  Consider the normal ratio of egg white to flour for most white cakes with the exception of angel food cake.  That is the problem here.  Way too much egg white in relationship to the other ingredients. Way too much vanilla too. 

Baking is chemistry and apparently this formula-based on your results, just doesn't work. 

Question:  you mention a baking time of 12 minutes.  They must bake at a high temperature then?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%