Fondant Letters

Decorating By marieandtwannette Updated 6 Nov 2012 , 8:18pm by BCo

marieandtwannette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marieandtwannette Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 21

I have purchased and used the Wilton's Fondant alphabet cutters; I like them ok, but I'm wondering what other letter cutters are out there and which ones work best. Thanks!

20 replies
CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 21

I don't have any of the cutters. I usually go on the computer and play with different fonts for the numbers and letters, and see what i like best! I then print them out and use them as stencils to cut out of fondant with the exacto knife.

tracey6277 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey6277 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 21

i have a veriety of cutters but dont really use them as i too play about on the computer and print off the lettering and numbers and use them as templates.
I always look in my local cheaper shops (tkmaxx UK) for cutters. Remember that the cutters dont necessarily need to be for cakes..... i have a variety of cookies cutters i use and also childrens ones.

I havnt seen and fancy letters or number cutters.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 21

I use tappits and my silhouette or cricut.

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 21

I have funky tappits and I love them!

Yeni131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yeni131 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 21

I love tappits too.

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 21

i just got the clikstix groovy letters/numbers and cant wait to use them.

jem2131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jem2131 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 11:09pm
post #8 of 21

to those who cut out there own letters.. How do you master using an exacto knife ? ive tried and tried to cut things out with that knife and i just cant get the hang of it.. my fondant always sticks or i neverrrr get a clean cut.. do you have any tips ?

marieandtwannette Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:09pm
post #9 of 21

thanks for all of the feedback, I've looked at both tappits and clikstix and can't decide which one to try. I have a cake to do that will be completely covered with words, and my script with icing is not that good, so I am hoping to be able to find a fondant lettering alternative.

I'm impressed with those of you who cut them out with an exacto! I have a hard enough time cutting out large images with the exacto!

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 21

jem2131, when i use the exacto knife, i make sure my blade is sharp and clean. if there are any little bits of stuff dried or stuck to it, it will snag on the fondant. When i'm rolling the fondant, I make sure the top isn't too dry, which will cause that wrinkly edge effect (not pretty). But if I get any errors or snags or other imperfections, i use my little finger to smooth it over and make it perfect again!

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieMcCakes

I make sure the top isn't too dry, which will cause that wrinkly edge effect (not pretty).

And I wait until it's even longer dry that that, and it cuts with zero wrikling and tearing. Might try that next time.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 9:09pm
post #12 of 21

I love using the Tappits and I have several designs. I add Tylose to the fondant and roll it thin and let it rest at least 10 minutes. But the problem I have is with attaching them to the cake. I usually make buttercream cakes and attach them with a small amount of piping gel. It seems to take me a long time. If you are doing a cake with a lot of writing I would think just piping it would go much faster. I did a cake three years ago for my mother-in-law that had writing all around 3 tiers. It was my first "public" cake and I've come along way since then in getting my buttercream smooth but she was very proud of the cake. I used a variety of fonts on the computer to plan what I wanted to write and then put wax paper over it to practice with different tips. I used a lazer level to help keep the lines straight. The picture is here if you check my photos, but REMEMBER, I did it the weekend I finished Wilton course 3 so I was a true novice. It is white with a pink 80 on top and I missed the lesson on roses and just did the best I could using the Wilton course instruction book.

marieandtwannette Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 1:51am
post #13 of 21

Elaine2581 - I love the cake you did for your mother in law, it's very similar to the one I have been asked to do for a 30th birthday. I realize that piping on the words may be faster, but since I struggle with consistiency with my icing writing, I think using the fondant cut outs might be a better option. I guess I'll try it and see! I just ordered 4 sets of tappits (upper and lower case funky and upper and lower case script) - I hope I like them as well as all the reviews I have read. Thanks for all the feedback!

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:24am
post #14 of 21

I bought the Funky tappits two weeks ago I have yet to use them but I read where some people have problems getting the fondant out of them, should I use quite a bit of constarch to make it easier for them to release from the plastic press letter? Thanks

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 2:40am
post #15 of 21

I lurve Tappits! Roll our fondant very thin (using a pasta roller if you have one and go to at least setting 6 and better yet, setting 8.) Let the fondant sit on the counter to dry out 10 minutes. Then press an TAP IT with authority. The letters will pop out.

The secret is thin, and I mean really thin, dry and authority.

No cornstarch at all.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:14am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I lurve Tappits! Roll our fondant very thin (using a pasta roller if you have one and go to at least setting 6 and better yet, setting 8.) Let the fondant sit on the counter to dry out 10 minutes. Then press an TAP IT with authority. The letters will pop out.

The secret is thin, and I mean really thin, dry and authority.

No cornstarch at all.

Exactly what leah_s said and you'll have great success.

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 7:33am
post #17 of 21

Thank you leah_s for your help.

marieandtwannette Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:40pm
post #18 of 21

Got part of my tappits yesterday. I ordered (from one amazon seller) the upper case funky and the lowercase script (ordered the opposite from a different seller - oh, the lengths I go to save money!). Unfortunately, they shipped the lowercase in block font instead of script. Upon examining the size (they are very tiny) I was convinced I would never be able to get them to work. But, much to delight, I followed the instructions given in the previous post to a T (except I didn't use a pasta roller - something to now add to my wish list) and they worked perfectly!!! I love them so much I decided to order (from the second seller) the upper case block and the lower case script. So excited that soon I will have 3 complete sets! This is the most I have spent on gadgets in a while, but I thin the cake I have to do next weekend will turn out much prettier using these!

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 7:51pm
post #19 of 21

Are there any cutters that are bigger than the Tappits? They are only about an inch or so tall and I would like something a little bigger. I see a lot of Funky font letters on cakes but they seem much bigger than my Funky Tappits letters.  Anyone? 

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 7:54pm
post #20 of 21

Particularly these letters....

http://pinterest.com/pin/216946907020851907/

http://pinterest.com/pin/216946907020162162/

How are they making these?

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 8:18pm
post #21 of 21

A tip I use - after many frustrations - for cutting out things I've printed off the computer to use as templates is to wipe a thin coat of shortening all over the back side of the paper cut-out and then place that onto the fondant....no slipping!! The stencil stays stuck to the fondant and doesn't move around while I'm cutting around it with my xacto....then when finished cutting it just peels right off! And yes, a sharp, new blade is best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%