Famous Pros And Their Flowers?

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 4:04am by ConfectionsCC

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 15

I noticed watching tv shows like cake boss, and Ron Ben-Israel on his website, they seem to stick the flowers directly into the cakes? Are they really just sticking wires into these cakes or am I missing something? I do not see any type of straws or anything, someone please fill me in!

14 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 15

Yup...you saw it just the way they do it! I've seen a lot of the 'top cake people' do the same thing.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 15

I just don't understand how flower pros can stick poisonous flowers right into the cake. The stems are not covered with tape NOTHING! Take hydrangeas for instance "Toxicity Category 1 - Plants can cause systemic toxicity varying from mild abdominal cramping to serious cardiac complications." Some people are so sensitive that even touching the leaves is very serious. But yet all the "flower pros" seem to do it anyway. How many cakes have you seen with hydrangeas?

http://www.aragriculture.org/horticulture/ornamentals/toxic_plants.htm

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 15

A lot of TV cakes aren't going to be eaten though.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 15

I've also seen them stick wired gumpaste flowers directly into the cakes. The wire is directly in the cake itself.

ConfectionsCC Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 15

Not just real flowers, the sugar flowers on floral wire! I am more afraid of the floral wires than I am the real stems! What about the floral wires? And, yes, some of these cakes are going to be eaten!

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

I noticed watching tv shows like , and Ron Ben-Israel on his website, they seem to stick the flowers directly into the cakes? Are they really just sticking wires into these cakes or am I missing something? I do not see any type of straws or anything, someone please fill me in!

this always shocks me too. here in the UK we are not allowed to do it, we have to use flower picks! It must be so much easier to create the cascading look down their cakes but they just stick them straight in. I've seen Buddy do it on wedding cakes that are going out to be eaten!!! shocking

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 15

I don't watch any of the cake shows on TV. (I don't subscribe to cable). Is there any chance that they've already inserted a straw and trimmed it to the right length before they show the flowers going in? The straws I use for single wires are so thin that you can barely see the hole where they go in the cake.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:23am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

Not just real flowers, the sugar flowers on floral wire! I am more afraid of the floral wires than I am the real stems! What about the floral wires? And, yes, some of these cakes are going to be eaten!

Check out a Sylvia Weinstock cake....1000's of flowers directly into the cake...and she's been doing it for over 30 years and apparently no one has ever been poisoned!

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:47am
post #10 of 15

Texas Rose - I went to a Cake Boss seminar and someone asked Buddy the question and he said yes, he sticks the wire directly in to the cakes. From what I understand, so do many of the others.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:17am
post #11 of 15

Yep, and it makes it no less gross or less potentially dangerous just because some quasi-celebrity does it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:32am
post #12 of 15

I know this is not directly answering the OP ? but............

Simple solution: dip the wire/stem in chocolate OR as Texas said:
..........The straws I use for single wires are so thin that you can barely see the hole where they go in the cake............

I believe these are called 'coffee stirers'.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:56am
post #13 of 15

I use tiny-diameter short straws (about 5" long) to insert wires 'directly into a cake'. These are not coffee stirrers, just miniature straws.

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 7:47pm
post #14 of 15

Ron Ben Israel only puts covered wires into his cakes. He has said that he has no problem putting flowers into cakes if they are on skewers or covered wires. If the wire is completely covered then the metal is not in contact with the cake. I do the same. RBI has been making cakes for years and if there was a problem with them doing it, they would have stopped.

ConfectionsCC Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:04am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

Ron Ben Israel only puts covered wires into his cakes. He has said that he has no problem putting flowers into cakes if they are on skewers or covered wires. If the wire is completely covered then the metal is not in contact with the cake. I do the same. RBI has been making cakes for years and if there was a problem with them doing it, they would have stopped.

I honestly feel like sending him an email asking him about this, but he is very busy I am sure..my email may get over looked icon_redface.gif ! So like the fabric covered floral wires is what he uses maybe? I have those, but the only time I have used them was when I made a gumpaste flower topper in which I used a ball of fondant to stick the wires into, then secured that ball of fondant to the top of the cake...worked great! But I have dreams of hundreds of gumpaste flowers cascading down the sides of the cake.....just curious how you would do that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%