I Knew It Would Happen

Decorating By cakesdivine Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 7:26pm by Texas_Rose

cakesdivine Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 3

I knew that once the bill was signed by the Govenor that every under the radar caker and new Wilton trained caker would come out of the woodworks, undercutting prices, selling things they shouldn't (tres leches, non stable creamcheese icings, etc.) BUT GEEZ, can't you guys wait to advertise until AFTER the law goes into effect? thumbsdown.gif

I am pretty sure that the HD's here in Texas are combing Craigslist and FB to find those trying to get a jumpstart and are selling now instead of waiting. They will happily fine you with no warning this time just to be spiteful of the law passing.

Personally I won't do CL advertising anymore because all you ever seem to get from there is the bargain basement bride who wants something for nothing, and they feel entitled and you should just want to do their cake because it is their special day and you should feel sorry that they don't have any money. Please spare me your drama...LOL!

I personally have removed items from my site that don't comply with the new law. Do I wish I still had my license? Of course I do. It is harder, I think, to do this from your home because people tend to think you are less professional than someone with a storefront or manufacturers license. And I know that I am not lowering my prices either, so sticker shock is going to be an even bigger issue because again for some reason people think if you are doing it from home their cake should be walmart priced. Crazy, but that is the reality.

So here I am, as are other cakers who abide by the law, counting down the days that we can legally get 'er done! thumbs_up.gif

2 replies
cakesdivine Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 3

To clarify, advertising now for future (meaning after Sept. 1) is okay but these ladies/gents are advertising for orders right now.

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 3

I haven't really seen an increase in advertising on CL. I had been emailing all the home bakers on my local CL to ask them to call the governor in support of the cottage food bill, so I'd actually been checking for cake ads...the ones advertising in San Antonio are the same ones who've been doing it for a while.

I think the people who were selling illegally don't care much if the law passed or not...they're not going to do anything differently than they already were. I've never heard of anyone here in town getting busted by the health department. I guess what it really comes down to is that people like you and I will have the satisfaction of knowing we did the right thing and those illegal bakers will have a little money a little sooner than us icon_biggrin.gif

Besides, they fill a niche...someone who expects a three tier cake for $40 will never be my customer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%