Air Bubbled Buttercream?

Decorating By sweetviolet Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 1:30pm by sweetviolet

sweetviolet Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! I know I read a post on here somewhere about buttercream icing getting air bubbles? It happened to me yesterday for the first time and although I could remember what to do (small pin hole, press out air) I couldn't remember what the post said about why it happens? Thanks for any info, i don't want that to happen again!

5 replies
bakingkat Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:55am
post #2 of 6

I think the biggest consensus is that it happens when the cake isn't allowed enough settling time. I think it might have to do with temperature/humidity changes as well.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:07am
post #3 of 6

the pin holes is for bubbles in fondant. If you are getting air bubbles in buttercream you are mixing to long perhaps.

kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:28am
post #4 of 6

Most likely airbubbles in b'creamed cakes is caused by not pressing the icing 'tight' enough onto the cake. It usually happens on smaller/6"er cakes. There is something that causes 'gas' to form in any voild so pressing a bit harder to adhere the icing well to the cake should help.
I like the suggestion re-posted about sliding the spatula under the bottom edge. It can be covered with the bottom border later.

PrivateNameHere Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, make sure you press the buttercream to the sides. I've had good luck with a very thin crumb coat first, then while it is still dry (not crusted) putting the top layer on.

sweetviolet Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 6

THanks everyone! I've done several cakes and I've never had this happen before! icon_sad.gif I know that you can use a pin with fondant but when you've got a cake, at the venue, already assembled and decorated the pin hole trick works too. Thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%