Making Human Characters...

Decorating By WhenTalentsCollide Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 9:28pm by Marianna46

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 4:10am
post #1 of 8

attempted to make my first human character today... never worked with modeling chocolate before either...

so it turned out "ok", but i wasn't completely happy with it...

is this the best medium to use for sculpting humans...?

I have a face mold, but all the faces look to "dollish", or "alien like", so i ended up trying to do it myself...

any tips...? do you sculpt the body in parts, or just start with a large piece and take away and make it one piece...?

any tips or info would be very helpful...

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 4:39am
post #2 of 8

There are lots of tutorials on this very topic in this thread:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=672099&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
You generally make the body, the limbs and the head separately and put them together. There's a cake artist named Lorraine McKay (aine2 is her screen name) who has some really wonderful tutorials on YouTube. And there are some other good links for tutorials in this thread:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=654103&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 8

What marianna46 said ^^^^
Aine2's videos are great. You can also go to her website
www. extra icing . co. uk (take out the spaces)
where she has tutorials you can purchase in a PDF file that are step by step and very reasonably priced.

Hope this helps.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the links, I need help with my human figures too. They have improved over the years- from awful to so-so. I would love to get to the degree of skill of someone like Bronwen Weber. She adds such personality to her faces!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the links, I need help with my human figures too. They have improved over the years- from awful to so-so. I would love to get to the degree of skill of someone like Bronwen Weber. She adds such personality to her faces!

Marianna46 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 8

I know what you mean, sugarMomma! My skills vary greatly from one attempt to the next. Sometimes I'm thrilled with the way things turn out and other times I just have to throw my efforts in the trash and go with something else! I think it's mostly just practice, practice, practice as are most things in life!

1cakeup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1cakeup Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 8

Gum paste seems to work best for me.

Marianna46 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 8

By the way, here's a link to winnieyoung103's photo gallery here on CC:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/user/winnieyoung103/
She has some really great examples of the wonderful things you can do with modeling chocolate, WhenTalentsCollide. I've always worked with gumpaste, too, but seeing these really makes me want to try this out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%