Cake Meltdown--Heat In Texas

Decorating By jstorey Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 4:05am by Texas_Rose

jstorey Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 1:08am
post #1 of 4

Just delivered my first "Wedding" "Anniversary",wedding vowel renewal, cake and most of my decoration melted on the way to the site. By the time I got there most it was a huge blob! It looked awful. I was so embarressed. What do you do to combat the heat. I have tried several frostings and have not found one that can withstand 100+ temps here. We were able to cover alot up with flowers. It was still droopy in areas.

Also--what do you do when you show up with your cake and suddenly the individual wants a bunch of stuff added to the cake? I was willing to do it this time since I had to fix my droopy mess and the fake flowers did nothing, but help.

Just really bummed that my cake was not more of a success.

3 replies
Brevity Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 1:23am
post #2 of 4

I'm in Texas too, and it certainly is shaping up to be one of the hottest summers we've had in a while. I just try to talk customers into the latest delivery times possible, so that the cake can stay in my cold room as long as possible, and when it's go time, I give the car plenty of time to cool down, and blast the air all the way there. I box cakes whenever possible, so the cold air coming off of them can bounce of those walls....and on the way there, I make a lot of deals with god. As for adding stuff when I get there, that's iffy. Really, unless we discussed it beforehand, then no. That said, I have my doormat moments, and I've added all sorts of things. Just depends on how sweet and pitiful the asker is.

gatorcake Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 1:46am
post #3 of 4

What kind of icings are you using? Have seen more than one person testify to the ability of IndyDebi's and Sugarshack's BC to stand up to high heat. They are all shortening butter creams. Not sure any butter based butter cream can stand up to that kind of heat.

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 4:05am
post #4 of 4

I use Indydebi's buttercream. It still needs to be kept cold if possible. There's no way to deliver a cake in the summer in TX without air conditioning in the car, and you need to cover the cake to keep sun off of it...if the sun comes through the window and shines on it, even with the ac running, it will melt that part of the cake (ask me how I know icon_biggrin.gif ). I usually tent foil over my cake boxes, shiny side up.

I've never had anyone want to add anything when I got there...the cakes that I have done that required setting up onsite, I was adding gumpaste flowers to them.

It's possible that they wanted to add the flowers because they could tell you were having issues with the heat and the icing, and wanted to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%