Topsy Turvy ? Smallest Top Tier & Height?

Decorating By cs_confections Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 4:33am by cs_confections

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! I'm attempting my first topsy turvy cake for my mom's 50th birthday. We don't need a lot of servings, so I was looking for advice/tips on making it in a smaller form. I was thinking 3/6/9. Will this work and look okay? How tall should it be? Should they all be the same height, or should I make each one going up a little shorter? I'm just wanting to make sure it'll look proportional and I worry about how tall the 3" top tier should actually be and still tie in okay with the rest of the cake. Thanks for your help!

5 replies
cs_confections Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 3:58am
post #2 of 6

icon_sad.gif

cs_confections Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 6

icon_cry.gif

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 6

That's a tough one. I think you need the cakes to be at least 4" high for topsy turvey for it to look right, but I also think that a 3" cake would look funny that tall. If it were me, I'd just do 2 tiers and nix the 3". Good luck!

Karen

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_confections

Hi! I'm attempting my first topsy turvy cake for my mom's 50th birthday. We don't need a lot of servings, so I was looking for advice/tips on making it in a smaller form. I was thinking 3/6/9. Will this work and look okay? How tall should it be? Should they all be the same height, or should I make each one going up a little shorter? I'm just wanting to make sure it'll look proportional and I worry about how tall the 3" top tier should actually be and still tie in okay with the rest of the cake. Thanks for your help!

Hi I do all topsy turvy with a minimum of 4" depth cakes - it just doesn't work being any less. I agree with the other poster - 3" cake on top will not really work. It will kind of look like a little hat on the top. The smallest I would do is 5" but that's just my preference. Even when I did a 5" i thought it still looked a little on the small side icon_smile.gif HTH

cs_confections Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 4:33am
post #6 of 6

Thank you! I was afraid of that icon_sad.gif I'm going to try carving and covering the 3", but come up with an alternate 2 tier design, just in case it doesn't work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%