Almost Had A Desaster With The Caddy Wampus .... Almost!!!

Decorating By My_Little_Cake_Shop Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 12:22am by My_Little_Cake_Shop

My_Little_Cake_Shop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
My_Little_Cake_Shop Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 9

I made a 4 tier topsy turvy cake this Thursday using the Caddy Wampus stand. It almost fell completely to the floor!
What happened though wasn't TOTALLY my fault.
The Caddy Wampus stands are perfect by the way! The only flaw with it is that the second tier from the bottom is TOO angled. The cake starts sliding off its board (gravity) and the center post slices through the cake! I quickly manufactured a small "wall" out of cardboard and taped it to the board to one side to prevent the cake from sliding off. it was fine after that. Had I not done that, the whole tier would've slid off! They need to fix the angle a bit.
Because of that, I was too enveloped in preventing that tier from sliding off that I unintentionally caused the whole stand to slowly unscrew! I almost had the entire thing fall to the floor! I did loose a few hand made sugar flowers which shattered on the marble floor but i did manage to save the cake! It had a bit too many finger prints on it but the bride loved it, the guests loved it, and it tasted great!!
You can see the cake in my photos and i will point out exactly what happened on the picture.

8 replies
cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 9

Thank you for posting about your experience. I purchased both the round and the square caddy stands and had them imported to Australia. I have a wedding in November that I'm going to apply the stand to, however, I'm planning on practicing with them prior. I have my daughter's birthday next month and will make her cake using one of the stands.
I am just wondering what type of cake you used and what filling you applied inside your cakes? I pretty much stick to mud cakes... dense (but still so moist and yummy), heavy, and filled with choc ganache and covered with fondant (or buttercream).. but I think I will stick to a ganache filling as it sets up real firm and stable. Can I ask what method you use to acheive 'the center hole' for the pvc pipe to thread through? And how do you adhese your cake board to cake stand plates? I'm thinking of using double sided tape.
Thank you again icon_smile.gif
And your cake is SUPERB!

My_Little_Cake_Shop Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks!!

Well I used a doctored cake mix for this particular cake and filled it with an all butter buttercream.

As for the hole, use the connectors that come with the stands to make the holes NOT the pipes themselves! The connectors are wider than the pipes are so use them to mark the holes for the cake boards and to cut the holes in the cakes. I just attached a connector to a pipe and dug in (connector side down).

I attached the cake boards to the stand boards with double sided tape. then after the cakes were on the boards and on the stand, I bordered with thick ribbon to cover where the two met. then i attached the flowers and decorated.

I think I really should have used a denser cake and filled with ganache. Try it that way and we'll see how that goes! Maybe also try applying ganache on the cake board itself before putting the cake on it? to adhere the cake to its personal board?

These stands are really sturdy and well made. but to use ANY cake recipe with this stand, that particular tier board should really be a little less steep.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 9

Great feedback.. thank you MLCS! It has been so hard finding any other threads regarding the use of the caddy stands. I am just busting at the seams to use mine! I am going to try and put together a tutorial when I make my daughter's cake, so as I can post on youtube and share it with other curious cakers icon_wink.gif I feel that Cake Study should have really tried to elaborate a lot more with their included instructions.. it would be good of them to suggest a more denser cake or solid filling I think.
I will be sure to keep you posted on my progress!

My_Little_Cake_Shop Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 9

Cant wait!!! icon_smile.gif

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 9

I am so confused. What is a caddy wampus stand? icon_confused.gif

My_Little_Cake_Shop Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 9

it's a stand designed by Bronwen Webber that aids in making topsy turvy cakes icon_smile.gif. See the last cake I posted in my photos (the wedding cake) and you will understand what I mean

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:21am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Little_Cake_Shop

I made a 4 tier topsy turvy cake this Thursday using the Caddy Wampus stand. It almost fell completely to the floor!
What happened though wasn't TOTALLY my fault.
The Caddy Wampus stands are perfect by the way! The only flaw with it is that the second tier from the bottom is TOO angled. The cake starts sliding off its board (gravity) and the center post slices through the cake! I quickly manufactured a small "wall" out of cardboard and taped it to the board to one side to prevent the cake from sliding off. it was fine after that. Had I not done that, the whole tier would've slid off! They need to fix the angle a bit.
Because of that, I was too enveloped in preventing that tier from sliding off that I unintentionally caused the whole stand to slowly unscrew! I almost had the entire thing fall to the floor! I did loose a few hand made sugar flowers which shattered on the marble floor but i did manage to save the cake! It had a bit too many finger prints on it but the bride loved it, the guests loved it, and it tasted great!!
You can see the cake in my photos and i will point out exactly what happened on the picture.

As for sliding...next time, try gluing your cake to the board with melted chocolate or white chocolate....works great to prevent sliding!

My_Little_Cake_Shop Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:22am
post #9 of 9

thanks I definitly will!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%