Madeira Sponge - Dry

Decorating By KellysCakes-Essex Updated 25 Jun 2011 , 8:05pm by KellysCakes-Essex

KellysCakes-Essex Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 3

Hello.
I've recently made 3 Vanilla Madeira Sponge cakes, 2 for one customer and one for another. Unfortunately, the feedback I had from the customer who ordered two was the cake was dry, lumpy and not enough Jam.

When I cut in to the sponge to split & level, the sponge did not appear to be lumpy (otherwise would not have continued using it) or dry.

The customer who ordered the one sponge was delighted with her cake and said it was moist and yummy. However, his was made exactly the same way as the other sponges and I actually split the mix between tins.

The feedback has really upset me. I have never had any negative feedback before and am not sure what to do to fix this.

I've been using a madeira sponge as it is slightly firmer to use when stacking cakes. Is there another method that is still good to use for stacking? SHould I avoid using madeira in the future? Has anyone else received such negative feedback?
Help

2 replies
Emmar308 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 3

It would be useful to see the recipe you use - i make madeiras for most of my cakes and they are lovely and moist. (Just a note, a madeira gets more moist a couple of days after baking).

KellysCakes-Essex Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for your reply. I use the following method:

10" Round Cake
500g Butter (i use stork)
500g Caster sugar
500g SR Flour
250g Plain Flour
9 eggs
Vanilla Extrat
1 1/2 -1 3/4 hours to bake

Quote by @%username% on %date%