Freezing Cakes? And House Cake Questions...

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 25 Jun 2011 , 7:40pm by cathyscakes

jennifercullen Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 2

In july, I have 2 cakes 'due' on the same day, one of which is something my friend has requested from me, and the other is something I would like to do for my sons nursery. I'm one of those people who only works on cakes in the evenings, and due to having two small children cant stay up all night because there is no time for me to catch up on my sleep the next day, and I get pretty grumpy when I'm so tired! Anyway, to save time I would like to freeze the cakes but am wondering should I bake and freeze, then carve and fill when I defrost? Or should I carve and fill cakes and then freeze them? Also, how long are they ok in the freezer? I actually kinda hate the baking part of making cakes, so I'd love to be able to just bake them as and when I feel like it and then put them in the freezer any time between now and then. How far in advance is too far I guess is what I'm asking?

Secondly, one of the cakes I want to make is a house. I would really like your opinion on whether you think it looks doable in the time frame I have? as a relatively novice decorator.. it has a triangular roof, but then two triangular parts on the side on the roof. Here's a photo from google maps so you can see what I mean kind of...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Pottery+Street,+Barrow-in-Furness&aq=0&sll=53.514185,-4.042969&sspn=12.428141,39.331055&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Pottery+St,+Barrow-in-Furness,+Cumbria,+United+Kingdom&ll=54.109866,-3.2149&spn=0,0.002401&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=54.109866,-3.2149&panoid=16AEyxnLUivCwEt641fYeQ&cbp=12,50.23,,0,0

1 reply
cathyscakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 2

I always freeze my cakes, so comforting to know they are baked and ready to go. i usually bake a couple of weeks ahead of time, but usually no more than a month, maybe someone else could answer how long they would last in the freezer. As for carving, i would think it would be easier to carve after they are frozen, let them thaw slightly and carve, would think it would be easier to do it that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%