Cutting Out Cake Parts And Cake Crumbs

Decorating By Tfaye Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 4:17pm by Texas_Rose

Tfaye Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to make a pikachu cake for my daughter's birthday July 12th. I made one just to try it out. I cut the ears out of a cake and the crumbs were causing the tip of the ears to fall apart when I iced it. The ears are basically a triangle

The cake pan for this character is too expensive for me to buy. So I used just a plain round pan for the head and cut both ears out of another cake.

I'm not doing the body of Pikachu because this will be my very first cake that I will be showing and I'm a little insecure to try.

I plan on using Marhmallow fondant for the very first time on this cake icon_surprised.gif , but I'm worried about the ear tips falling apart before I get the fondant on it.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Also, if anyone has time to tell me about cutting the body out and dealing with the crumbs is welcome to explain it to me.

Seriously, this is my first real cake!!!!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 5

There are a few ways to deal with crumbs. First, some cake recipes work better for carving than others. I use the WASC recipe that starts with a cake mix. If I'm going to be carving it, I replace part of the sugar in the recipe with a packet of jello, as long as the flavor/color fit in with what I'm making. There are other recipes for sturdy cakes too.

Use a sharp, not serrated knife to cut your cake. Then brush the cut edges with simple syrup or use a crumb coat ( a thin coating of buttercream to seal in crumbs). It doesn't matter if crumbs show up in the crumb coat. Let that layer of frosting crust, then add a thicker layer of frosting.

Once the frosting is on, if you're going to be covering it with fondant and it's a fragile shape, put it in the fridge and let it get nice and firm, then take it out and cover with fondant. The fondant will get dewy as the cake comes to room temperature, but will evaporate after a couple of hours.

Another thing people do for fragile pieces in a sculpted cake is to make the pieces out of rice krispie treats and then cover with candy melts (for a smooth surface). You probably don't need to do that for the ears.

carmijok Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 5

I find it easier to carve a really cold cake. And if you don't have rice krispy treats to mold something and you've cut off more than you want to...use a mix of cake crumbs and frosting (cake spackle) and use that as filler...or even to form something. Shape it first and get it very cold to harden. Then you can cover with fondant or frost with BC.

Tfaye Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both for the replies. It sounds good and I will try cold cake, sharp knife, and syrup. Wow, the little things that seem like common sense in hind sight.

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 5

I forgot to mention, I make my own syrup from 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Bring it to a boil in a saucepan, then turn it off, let it cool and add a little bit of liquor or a teaspoon or two of an extract that goes with the taste of the cake. For chocolate cake, I add a spoonful of instant coffee granules for the can't taste the coffee in the cake, just a deeper chocolate taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%