How Would I Achieve This "plushy" Look To Fondant?

Decorating By frankdiabetes Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 11:17pm by all4cake

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 9

Hello, I'm looking to make a plushy giraffe rocking horse for a baby shower next month, and the texture I'd like to have on the fondant is similar to the attached photo by DebbieDoesCakes. Anyone have any ideas on how she got that effect?? It's awesome!

Edit: Hmm, having difficulty adding attachment. This is the link to the photo on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/debbiedoescakesnet/4975128449/in/set-72157613990914599/

Thanks!

8 replies
MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 9

That looks like a textured surface- maybe try squishing up some sran wrap and dabbing the buttyercream- or using a texture mat and moving it around while its pressed up against the fondant and/or buttercream-

Those are just guesses though-

Mo

lyndya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndya Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 9

I do this all the time. Take the 'grass' piping tip, and use it to texture the fondant by hand. Works great.

frankdiabetes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 9

Lyndya- just by punching little "holes" in the fondant you get that effect? I'll definitely have to give it a try! Thanks!!

airedalian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airedalian Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 9

I saw a cake once that the woman had used a plastic placemat to texture ... one of those real cheap ones from the dollar store. The texturing on this kinda reminds me of that pattern.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 9

You can use a clean dishtowel or cloth doily, dust it with cornstarch, and then lay it on top of the fondant and roll over it. I saw it used in a British cake book before to get texture on a Christmas stocking, and I've tried it for small pieces of fondant or gumpaste. It works, but I'm not sure how distorted it would get if it were stretched and smoothed over a shaped cake.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndya

I do this all the time. Take the 'grass' piping tip, and use it to texture the fondant by hand. Works great.

I was gonna suggest the grass tip. If you look close enough, you can actually see the grass tip pattern (in places where it didn't overlap).

I vote: grass tip

frankdiabetes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 9

Lyndya and all4cake- thank you!! The grass tip gave exactly the effect I was trying to achieve and though it was a bit tedious poking all those tiny holes in the fondant, it was totally worth it. I used it on the face and arms of my giraffe cake. Thanks again!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 9

I'm glad it worked for you. The cake turned out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%