Make This Cake More Stable??

Decorating By gidgetdoescakes Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 1:17am by gidgetdoescakes

gidgetdoescakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 5:49am
post #1 of 8

I am doing a jack in a box, 8 in squares x 4 layers....I have a cake board in between the two top and bottom layers with dowels in between also. I am afraid to use the gp lid I made to prop open for it is thought maybe I should use cardboard covered with fondant? I would appreciate any ideas if you have done one before. I was thinking of wooden dowel down the center also before addinf the rkt elmo on the top????thanks

7 replies
mena2002 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:27am
post #2 of 8

wouldn't the fondant covered cardboard weigh about the same as the gumpaste lid?

gidgetdoescakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:34am
post #3 of 8

yeah I was thinking the same thing......oh jeeze I m not sure what the heck to try ...any ideas would be greatly appreciated.....asap

gidgetdoescakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:44am
post #4 of 8

well maybe some melted chocolate and dowels made to look like hinges? Or foam core board?

niccicola Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 8

If the gumpaste lid is dried hard enough, can you use two dowels (one on each side) to prop it up? if the dowels are taller than your cake, you should be able to raise it high enough to get your "Jack" to stand up under the lid. You could always cover the dowels in fondant to match the lid.

Use as a last resort LOL

blissfulbaker Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 8

I would make the lid out of styrofoam.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 8

ok after fretting all night I sucked it up and used the gumpaste lid, success.............worked great...check it out in my pics icon_smile.gif

gidgetdoescakes Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 1:17am
post #8 of 8

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me icon_smile.gif I really appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%