Cake Boards And Stacking

Decorating By kneenah Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 1:25am by JillyPlot

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:09am
post #1 of 12

I am doing my first stacking cake and i am using regular cake boards the cardboard ones.. has anyone had a problem with them and the moisture from the cake?

11 replies
sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:17am
post #2 of 12

Never had an issue. If you're concerned though you could put shredded coconut or powdered sugar under where you are placing the cake circle, this also helps prevent the icing from sticking.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:26am
post #3 of 12

I wrap mine with plastic wrap and I DON'T like it...looking for another way. I've hear some cut waxpaper circles to put on the boards BUT others say the wax paper gets soggy.
Be careful using coconut, make sure you TELL whoever it is for, some people are allergic. I hate coconut so I would be upset if it were on my cake...but that's just me icon_smile.gif I use powdered sugar.

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:33am
post #4 of 12

thanks sooo much you guys..I am baking now.. so tomorrow i have to buy more cake boards the board that the cakes are on now are soft icon_sad.gif from the heat of the cake..

sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:41am
post #5 of 12

What type of cake are you making? What type of cake circles did you use? I put my cakes warm out of the oven right onto the cake boards, and haven't had an issue. I use the wilton ones.

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 3:34am
post #6 of 12

I wrap them in press-n-seal. That way it never touches the cake.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 3:37am
post #7 of 12

I use foamcore wrapped in press and seal wrap. The press and seal sticks to it well enough that a knife won't cut it when the cake is cut.

It is a little more trouble to cut the circles, but I want my circles exactly the right size, so I used to have to cut down the cardboard ones too.

JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 10:34am
post #8 of 12

I baked yesterday for my first stacked cake also (just making it for the Wilton Tall Cakes class tomorrow) and I read online somewhere that you should wrap the boards in fanci-foil or something else to protect them from the grease. Is it really ok to just leave them plain?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyPlot

Is it really ok to just leave them plain?

It is... that's what cake circles are made for.

JillyPlot Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you! That's what I thought, but then I remembered reading that they should be covered, which didn't make sense to me.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 12

If a cake is to be sitting out for a while and the tiers are heavy, it would make sense to me to cover the little boards. If they are the thin non-coated cardboard rings there is a possibility of them getting soft, making either the cake start to sag or even making it more difficult for whoever is carving it to take the tier off the cake without a big mess. I just wrap with white Freezer Wrap from the grocery store. It looks neater and keeps any and all moisture out. To me it's always better safe than sorry.

JillyPlot Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 1:25am
post #12 of 12

Thank you, carmijok. I did cover the boards for this cake... Decided it was better to be safe than sorry. I like the idea of freezer wrap or some sort of clear/white wrap because I think it would be cheaper, easier, and less noticeable than foil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%