Curdling Buttercream!!! Why????

Baking By socalval Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 3:30pm by TexasSugar

socalval Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 5

my buttercream is fantastic, but once i add color it starts to curdle! UGH!!! why????? i know wiltons color is horrible, but its all i have right now & my supply store is closed now. please help! thanks

4 replies
icer101 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 5

what recipe did you use. It is not the witon colors. i use them all the time , along with americolor, and several other name brands. So , tell us how you made it and we can help you figure this out. I have never had my b/c , no matter which type i make, to curdle. so, yes, i am confused.

socalval Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 5

shortning, powdered sugar, butter vanilla and almond extract, water. ive used this for a couple years now. i dont know if its because im in colorado now and with the dryer air (i moved from LA). or if its because its when its hot out. thank you! i really appreciate it

socalval Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 5

okay...so i put the batch in the fridge. and i think it was the heat that got to it. its cold, blended it again and it perfect consistancy again! maybe the heat was seperating the shortning???? well whatever it was its working now!

thank you for looking at my post...hopefully this will help others too!

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 5

Is it a thin icing and are you making dark colors? I have that happen when I try to make darker colors (and yes even with americolor) and my icing is already on the thin side. My opinion is that the extra liquid in the color gel throws things off. My fix is to add in some corn starch to help absorb the extra liquid and thicken it back up. You can also add in some more powder sugar.

It is weird because more often than not it waits to separate until after I have put it in the bag to decorate with. So I just tend to go ahead and add in the corn starch when I make darker colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%