Angel Food

Baking By lilly52184 Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 5:52am by lilly52184

lilly52184 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilly52184 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 6

Ok I have a question concerning angel food cakes. I have not really baked them much. can you bake them in a sheet pan and fill them as other cakes or no?

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 5:19am
post #2 of 6

No, unfortunately. Angel food cakes need the tall sides and extra surface that an angel food pan provides to rise properly. You don't grease the pan, precisely so that the cake can climb up the sides to rise. You even have to let the cake cool in the pan upside down (that's why all those pans have those prongs coming out the top - to rest on while the cake cools) while the cake cools and sets. Otherwise it will lose all its air and turn into an angel food brick.

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 6

However, if you want to bake angel food in a bakers sheet pan, like a cookie sheet with a rolled rim, in a thin layer like you are baking a sponge for a jelly roll you CAN do that without a problem. Then you have a nice one inch thick cake to fill and stack, but you will need to bake the cake batter immediately, it won't sit around, so you need two baking sheets and I'm not sure how much batter for each so some experiments would be needed, but it does work!! I have seen the half sheet pans at Wal-Mart these days.

Tami icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 6

Aha! Thanks for that information, Tami. An angel food cake roll sounds really delicious and my family's been begging me for an angel food cake lately - not my favorite, actually, but with a really yummy filling, who knows?

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 6

You can tort and fill an angel food cake baked in a tube pan. You just need to be careful how you cut it -- a cake comb or a pair of forks can work better than an actual knife, which will tend to "squish" the cake. Or, instead of torting, you can just pile the filling (esp if it is mostly fresh fruit) in the center hole.

And baking angel food batter as cupcakes works pretty well too.

Holly

lilly52184 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilly52184 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:52am
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for all of your helpicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%