Please Help, Having A Hard Time With My Mmf Ripping

Decorating By shrimpsey Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 11:23pm by shrimpsey

shrimpsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrimpsey Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 7

I made Rhonda's ultimate MMF for a cake I am doing, I have used it before with no problems, however this time I colored it blue, it rolls out fairly nice, but it is ripping really easy making it hard to flip, and to put over the cake. What can I do to fix this? I think it might be from the heat and humidity. Should I add more powdered sugar? Use more crisco?? It also looks as though it might crack on the edges when I lay it over my cake. icon_sad.gif

6 replies
platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 7

Try some Crisco....It sounds like it is too dry. I had a student that this happen to & I had her knead in some Crisco & it got better.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 7

Keep kneading. Rub shortening on your hands and knead. The texture changes completely after about 5 minutes and it works perfectly.

shrimpsey Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for your prompt replys. I wrapped it up until after supper, need to get my kids out of my hair, hahaha. I will try the kneeding and adding crisco and see how it goes. Thanks for teh help, I will let you all know how it turns out. It is my first cake for 100 people at a Mason's dinner tomorrow. The cake, filling and buttercream all turned out amazing tasting, it NEEDS to have a great polished look. This is my door opener for maybe starting to do cakes on the side a bit, so I am wanting it to be beautiful, lol.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 7

I would use crisco on a vinyl mat, just nice thin layer. roll out my mmf, gently, then pick the mat up , lay over cake easy and easy pull the mat away from the fondant. This should work. I,m sayinga prayer for you right now. good luck.

shrimpsey Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 7

Well, crap. Its not working, I can't use this stuff. I suspect it was the adding the royal blue to the fondant rather then to the marshmellow before the sugar. Uggg, I am off to the store to get more ingrediants and making a new batch. Lesson learned, do not add a lot of color to MMF, lol, add it BEFORE the sugar. Lets hope this next batch works well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%