I Make Cakes And My Husband Just Became Diabetic.

Lounge By GinnyK Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 2:43pm by warchild

GinnyK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinnyK Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 7

My husband was just diagnosed with diabetes (not my fault -- I swear). I make cakes from my home (don't sell them) (yet) and he insists that my continuing to do so won't bother him. I don't want to torture the poor man! But I also love decorating cakes, and I had wanted to turn it into a full-time business after I retire in a few years (he's already retired). I'm going to work out some good sugar-free recipies for cake and icing, but even so the smell of 50 regular cupcakes baking won't be very comfortable for him. Any advice? Any ideas? Can't move my kitchen. Won't divorce my husband. Don't want to stop making cakes. Help!

6 replies
kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 7

My husband was diagnosed as a diabetic a while ago. He's gotten used to my baking cakes. It took some time, and nudging by the doctor to keep him in line, but he doesn't try to sneak a taste anymore.

Your hubby will get used to it, especially since he knows how much you enjoy caking! icon_smile.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 7

I make cakes from home as a legal home baker and I am diabetic. Diabetes isn't the end of the world and it certainly isn't the end of sweets for your DH icon_wink.gif All things in moderation. In the beginning he will need to pay close attention to what he eats and how his blood sugar reacts to different foods. Keeping a written diary will help alot. Is he going on insulin or medication? I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 15 years ago and I went on oral medication and a very strict diet and exercise. Now I weigh less than when I graduated high school, my blood sugar is really good.

This isn't the end of your baking, and if your husband is supportive, and it sounds like he is, then keep on thumbs_up.gif

Good luck!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 7

My grandma was diabetic for over 20 years, and baked all of our birthday cakes.

I can see how it is hard at first adjusting to a new life style for your hubby, but it doesn't mean that either of you have to give up cakes. Remember diabetic friendly recipes aren't just about find sugar free ones, you'll want to watch the carbs as well.

Give it some time, and listen to him... The joy you get from baking, to him may be worth seeing you bake but not getting to try everything.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 7

My family smells good stuff baking all the time. They know it's not for them. It just goes with the territory.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 7

I decorate cakes and I am a diabetic myself. For a diabetic, what we put in our mouth is a personal choice and baked cakes around the house are not the only temptation.

The new face of diabetes is not all about sugar control or sweets but carb control, which includes any grains, breads and fruit as well as sugary foods. He will have to learn to make choices that are better for him.

And in my opinion, sugar-free stuff is gross. I'd rather not eat it at all or save myself for something real than eat sugar-free cake...blah! icon_razz.gif

Besides, if you are making the cakes for others, he can't have any anyway!! icon_lol.gif Personally, I see and smell so much cake and icing, that I don't even like to nibble it anymore, thank goodness!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 7

My DH was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes years ago, but it wasn't the end of my caking. There's many diabetics who cook/bake for a living so having diabetes as has been said by a PP, is not the end of the world. My DH still eats my cakes and sweets, but he's learned to eat them in moderation. If he wants a bigger portion, he knows he has to deduct some of the starch or carb from his meal.

All foods, not just cakes will be a temptation to your DH now as he has to think of food exchanges, starches or carbs, fats & natural sugars in every food he wishes to eat.

The important thing for your DH and you, is learning all you can about diabetes. Read, attend local classes for diabetics if you have them available. Talk with your GP or local health clinic. You can find a wealth of information on the American and Canadian diabetes association websites, as well as other medical based, diabeties websites.

A word of advice.. Don't take it upon yourself to learn all about diabetes, without your DH learning all about it too. I made that mistake at first, and soon found my DH relied on me far too much in controlling his exchanges. That changed very fast when I realized my DH had no idea what the individual food symbols for diabetics meant, or what the difference was in a dairy exchange & protein exchange.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%