Can I Melt Isomalt In A Double Boiler?

Sugar Work By Cakes-and-bakes Updated 25 Jun 2011 , 7:52am by Cakes-and-bakes

Cakes-and-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-and-bakes Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 5

hello
ive never used isomalt before and I have the isomalt sticks. (the ones that look like glue sticks?) I dont have a microwave, can I melt them the same way i do chocolate?

Also, can i color them with coloring gel?

thank you

4 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:35am
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure you can melt them in a double broiler because I don't think it can reach that high of a temp. But you can just melt them in a pot on the stove.

LSW929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW929 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 7:07am
post #3 of 5

If you have the isomalt sticks, you only have to melt them, just like chocolate. The isomalt you get in the bag has to be cooked until it reaches the right temperature. With the sticks that's already been done for you, that's why they cost alot more. I've used both, the sticks are great, if you have any left over you can remelt it and use again, be very careful though, it's very hot. After you melt them down you can add color. HTH

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 7:11am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSW929

If you have the sticks, you only have to melt them, just like chocolate. The you get in the bag has to be cooked until it reaches the right temperature. With the sticks that's already been done for you, that's why they cost alot more. I've used both, the sticks are great, if you have any left over you can remelt it and use again, be very careful though, it's very hot. After you melt them down you can add color. HTH

oh good to know thumbs_up.gif

Cakes-and-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-and-bakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 7:52am
post #5 of 5

oh great! thank you very much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%