Packaging: Plastic Or Paper, Shelf Life, Delivery Issues

Business By lorieleann Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 4:45pm by elliespartycake

lorieleann Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 2

could you all chime in here on how you do packaging for cupcakes that will be delivered locally, baked to order? I originally thought that I would want to stick with a natural paper box for the aesthetics of it, but I am now having doubts because I will need to keep the boxes cool while delivering or storing at farmer's markets, most likely in an ice chest with wrapped ice. I have also read that some places prefer the plastic clamshells because paper can draw out moisture. I'm in So. Arizona where the humidity is really low, so that is a big concern to me (for perspective, sandwich bread can dry out in less than 10 minutes if not covered). I also don't have a storefront, so maintaing moistness is key because I may not have a daily turnaround and have to hold order for a day before delivery.

I'm trying to justify using plastic for ease in keeping the the items cool, and for the freshness factor. But my big draw back is the un-envrionmental friendly factor of it and how a paper bakery box just looks and feels better than what is stacked up in every supermarket bakery across the country.

Cakes will always go out in paper boxes, but it's just these darn cupcakes that are giving me grief.

I guess i could do something to dress up the clamshell (oversized sticker, band/wrap), but i'm still a bit blehh about it.

what's your experience?

any experience with the company, Cuptainers? or is there another source for hi-top plastic containers? (i currently like brp for paper boxes)

thanks for the feedback!

1 reply
elliespartycake Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 2

I have used PlasticContainerCity for my cupcake clamshells.
For farmers markets, I sell a lot of single cupcakes. I pop them in a small clear plastic beverage glass (can by them in grocery or party store), set the container on a large square of clear cellophane (from party or dollar store) and bunch the cellophane up around the top, tie with a ribbon and - Voila!- a festive, eye catching cupcake package that is cheap.
Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%