Tint Melted Chocolate?

Sugar Work By cakification Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 4:48pm by Moovaughan

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 10

I need to make a chocolate shoe thats black, so I'm wondering if its possible to tint melted chocolate/candy melts?

9 replies
kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 10

Yup. I just did it with my baby girl cake topper. In my photos, she's all chocolate. I think that the key is to color it AFTER it's been set, not while it's melted.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 10

Just make sure you use candy food coloring, the regular stuff will make the candy melts turn into a play-doh like substance, as I learned!

kristiemarie Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 10

I think she wants playdoh, as she is making a shoe...or are you POURING it into a mold? That would make a difference...

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, I'm pouring it into a mold. ( like the white one in my pics ) so, if i were to colour it after, how would I do that and what would i use?

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 10

I've colored the melts with candy food coloring and with regular food coloring. When I used the reg food coloring I mixed the color in a little bit of crisco first then added it to the melts...it worked for me...at least that time icon_smile.gif! I wanted a neon color and they didn't have it with the candy coloring. Good Luck!

kristiemarie Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 10

Hm, well, that is a horse of a different color. I think you'd have to tint it before hand.

I've seen more than one person (jason-lisa being one) successfully use regular coloring in melted chocolate.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 10

You can get Americolor Flo-Coat to use regular gel paste with chocolate. Or you can use powdered colours, coloured cocoa butter or candy colours.

You could paint the inside of the mold with the gel paste (watered down slightly with vodka) and then pour the chocolate in, but that wouldn't give you an even colour (you'd have possible brush marks and some areas darker than the other, depends what look you want).

You can paint it afterwards with coloured cocoa butter. I'm not sure about the other types of colours, could you try painting a slab of chocolate and see how it turns out?

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 10

adding water (food coloring) to chocolate will cause it to seize (turn clumpy and hard). you can try gel, but i've had bad luck with it. chocolate colors or cocoa butter colors work the best for coloring chocolate. i've never tried to color candy melts, so maybe those act different.

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 10

I don't know about powdered colors but I made the mistake of using regular gel colors and my chocolate seized up and I had to keep adding canola oil to get it to smooth out.. the only problem is after it hardened up it just a little contact with my fingers would softened so I would advise buying the oil based dyes just for chocolate, their about the same price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%