University Logo Trademark - Is This Legal?

Business By Toptier Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 4:19am by PieceofCakeAZ

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:43am
post #1 of 9

So I was asked to make a football grooms cake with a University logo on it. I emailed the dept. of the university to get permission but haven't heard anything. I thought of using a licensed edible image but the only one available is in a 12-pack at B A K E R Y C R A F T S - I don't really need a 12 pk but may have to go that route. I found a cookie cutter with the logo on one site but it doesn't say it's licensed so who knows? Do you think it would be safe to use the cookie cutter? I want to do the right thing. Of course the cutter is out of stock icon_sad.gif

I don't have an account at the above website (but could set one up I suppose). Can someone with an account look the price of these up for me (with shipping if poss), it's the University of Oregon edible image. Is there a minimum order? anyone know where else this might be available?

Thanks for your help.

8 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:01am
post #2 of 9

Last I knew, B A K E R Y craft had a $300 minimum.

SoonerBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoonerBaker Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:16am
post #3 of 9

Call the school's public affairs office. You will probably need to get permission, which may require submitting a design in order to be licensed. There can be an issue with the actual color used too. Based on experience from friends of mine at OU - it is a long, time consuming process. The schools are very protective of their copyright. Best of luck.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:24am
post #4 of 9

$27.20 for the pack of 12. I order from BakeryCrafts once a month. Their minimum is $150 I think, but they will take any size order for an additional $10 handling fee. Plus shipping.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:53am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

$27.20 for the pack of 12. I order from BakeryCrafts once a month. Their minimum is $150 I think, but they will take any size order for an additional $10 handling fee. Plus shipping.

Thanks Leahs. Maybe the $300 is because i am in a residential area, rather than a business area? Or maybe it was another place....?

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks Leah and Annabakescakes. I think I may have found a way to comply but work the logo into the design. I think that I will purchase some (licensed) logo wrapping paper and work that into the board in some format, that would be ok right?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptier

I think that I will purchase some (licensed) logo wrapping paper and work that into the board in some format, that would be ok right?

That's a creative solution! As long as you purchase a licensed item (and don't duplicate the logo yourself with BC or fondant) you should be fine.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 1:11am
post #8 of 9

I'd try to call the school first. I've had some schools make it a long difficult process, and some tell me over the phone "go ahead." If you tell them that it's a specific cake for a specific client who's an alum of the school and not just a request to do multiple cake with the logo all over it, they tend to be more agreeable to it.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 4:19am
post #9 of 9

Some schools will definitely give permission to a cake company making the request but the odds are better if the couple makes the request.

I suggest providing the couple with the contact information for the university and having them make contact. We have never been turned down using this method. If the school gets an email from a company, in their mind it might as well read "I want to make money off of your trademark, it that cool?" but if they get an email from an alumnus saying that their wedding just wouldn't be the same if the University of________ wasn't represented, it's more like they are doing a favor for someone who at one point gave them $70,000. icon_biggrin.gif

Best of luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%