How Do I Recreate This Look?

Decorating By AmyLee77 Updated 6 Aug 2011 , 4:15am by JanH

AmyLee77 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 1:54am
post #1 of 21

I've been asked to recreate this wedding cake for a 50th anniversary. This is the only picture I have to go by. A couple of questions...
Where can I find arches like the ones that are between the tiers? I've looked and looked online and can't find anything that will give me that same look.
Also, they still have the topper, but not the little base to it. Where can you find just the base?
Can anyone help me decide what's in the middle of those tiers? The couple's son is ordering this and he thinks it's just toole (sp?) in there. I'm not sure about that. What do you all think?
And finally, if anyone can tell what is on the sides of the cake, that would be awesome, haha! I think it's some buttercream flowers. I SO wish I had a better picture!!
Thank you SO much in advance to anyone who can help me out with this cake! I'm especially concerned about those arches!

20 replies
AmyLee77 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 1:55am
post #2 of 21

Shoot, I thought I added the picture and it isn't showing up. I'll try to attach it again...

AmyLee77 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:09am
post #3 of 21

Attempting to add picture, it's not working!!! Tips please? I've followed the directions exactly according to the post in the technical support forum and I'm not getting the message that says "posted attachment".

kakeladi Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:19am
post #4 of 21

You have to post the pic in your gallery, then give us the link to it. Cannot post pix in threads anymore.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:19am
post #5 of 21

Ive never been able to attached one either - it's not operator error, there's something wrong with the website icon_smile.gif

Most people upload their pictures to a website like Flicker, and then paste the link in their post. HTH!

AmyLee77 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:39am
post #6 of 21

Kakeladi - if I post the picture in my gallery, won't it show up on the home page as if it was a cake that I made? Is it ok to do that since it isn't my cake?

yummy - I'll try doing that if I can figure it out, thanks!

AmyLee77 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:43am
post #7 of 21

Trying to post a link from photobucket...

mplaidgirl2 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:44am
post #8 of 21

I was just about to tell you how to do it that way.... I was testing it still worked first lol

AmyLee77 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:45am
post #9 of 21

Yay!!!! Well, gosh, after spending an hour figuring that picture posting stuff out, the cake seems easy, lol.
So, any ideas anybody????

grandmomof1 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:55am
post #10 of 21

It looks like a lot of Lily of the Valley done in buttercream on the sides of the cake.

icer101 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:58am
post #11 of 21

It is lily of the valley piped in b/c.

threeforhim Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:18am
post #12 of 21

I just bought a very old Wilton Book of Wedding Cakes. There is a cake with Lily of the Valley on the side. It says to pipe it with tube #81. I suppose that means tip 81. (?) HTH

CWR41 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:50am
post #13 of 21
Originally Posted by AmyLee77

Can anyone help me decide what's in the middle of those tiers? The couple's son is ordering this and he thinks it's just toole (sp?) in there.

I don't see tulle in the middle... just satin around the base.

Originally Posted by AmyLee77

And finally, if anyone can tell what is on the sides of the cake

Use this leaf tip (#352, the bird beak):
with the "C" shaped #81 tip for the lily of the valley:

Good luck finding the arches and the plastic base. The arches might be porcelain (maybe check a Hallmark store), and it looks as though the plastic topper bases are all discontinued (if you find a mini topper locally, you could buy it to disassemble to use the base portion).

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:00am
post #14 of 21

Maybe you could use a homemade arch? Like gumpaste over a wire or polymer clay? I would still use something else for support though...maybe a center rod? Just throwing out ideas, good luck!

SarahL4683 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 5:27am
post #15 of 21

You can find the base at country kitchen sweet art for $1.50, i recently was looking for one for a 60th anniversary where I re-created their cake as well! They also had them at my local bakery supply shop. I stressed over the cake I did, my picture was not very clear, but my uncle loves to edit photos so he re-touched the one I was given so I could make out a few of the details. Good luck!

niccicola Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:32pm
post #16 of 21

Do you have to recreate the cake EXACTLY as it was on their wedding?

A trend I've been doing lately is recreating an old cake but in a modern way.

For example, with this cake, I would do a 3 tier round cake, all white fondant with gumpaste flowers randomly placed. Forget the arches. I can't see what colors they had in the wedding, but maybe add a ribbon on the middle tier, half way up, with one spray at the middle point.

If you have to make the cake exactly as shown, forget i even said anything!

all4cake Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 3:00pm
post #17 of 21

My best guess would be that they were separated using ordinary pillars and the arches were probably piped, hardened royal icing connected to form a circle (note the decorative connections between two arches and at the tops of each arch). Then, upon assembly, set into place (tier with pillars sticking out, place ri circle of arches, place tier above, with pillars sticking out of it onto pillars of tier below and repeat.

Royal icing decorative pieces were VERY VERY common to see.

all4cake Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 3:27pm
post #18 of 21

It does look like some type of tulle/netting but I can't make out if it's in the middle or if it's coming from the decorative pieces connecting two arches.

...and that round thing...bottom front...Is that a sugar bell?

nhbaker Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 4:07pm
post #19 of 21

Not sure if this will help as far as the cake sides go. I recently did a cake that had lily of the valley on it (just posted it in my pics as "hexagon cake"). I piped the stems and leaves in buttercream and made the flowers out of gumpaste and attached them after piping. If you want a more close-up of this, pm me and I see if I can send you one.

Good Luck!

soledad Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:44pm
post #20 of 21

Just a thought... since the son wants the cake to be recreated, maybe he can find out in a casual conversation what the thing is in the middle of the arches, or someone he trust that will not give the surprise away. icon_wink.gif
About the arches this is what I would do. Wilton sells for one of the classes a pillar set, you can make the arches of gumpaste, and you would put two arches together between each of the pillars.HTH
Good luck thumbs_up.gif

JanH Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:15am
post #21 of 21
Originally Posted by kakeladi

You have to post the pic in your gallery, then give us the link to it. Cannot post pix in threads anymore.

The attachment to software isn't working, but there are other ways to add a photo to a post (please see below). icon_smile.gif

However, the guidelines for using the galleries hasn't changed - only photos of your own cakes are allowed!

Originally Posted by Coral3

The attachment function on CC doesn't work.

If you want a photo to show up in your post, here's how:

First upload the photo into an online photo site like Photobucket (getting a photobucket account is easy and FREE) then just copy the photo's image code (IMG Code) from photobucket and paste it into your post (on a line by itself, so it doesn't have any other text or punctuation against it). Then when you hit 'submit comment' the photo will display in the thread. Easy.

Photobucket is here:

I'm pretty sure you can also use Flickr like this too - just look for the image code (IMG code) and copy and paste it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%