Chosen A Name...but Is The Domain Too Long?

Business By idontknow Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 2:41pm by FromScratchSF

idontknow Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 12:05am
post #1 of 10

So I've chosen a name for my home-based cakery: The Custom Cake Boutique. I asked colleagues and got lots of feedback before finalising it, and I'm very happy with it. One of the factors of choosing it is that the .com and .co.uk domains were available which I have now registered. I also have a logo design in mind which I love that uses all the words as an integral part of the design, so I could easily imagine a little .com at the end of the logo would inform people of my site address too, IYKWIM.

But I'm now wondering if it's too long a web address - www.thecustomcakeboutique.com, particularly for an email address - [email protected] I'm worrying that it's too long for people to remember, more chance of getting something wrong when re-typing it, misspelt etc. Is a shorter version better?

An alternative would be to register www.tccb.co.uk as well (the only option available) and use that as my advertised web address and then the email would be [email protected] I could then have tccb.co.uk point to the full address, if I wanted to.

What do people think is best? All comments welcome!!

Option 1 - stick with www.thecustomcakeboutique.com and its email address
Option 2 - register www.tccb.co.uk and repoint to full address
Option 3 register www.tccb.co.uk and forget about the full address

9 replies
jason_kraft Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 1:57am
post #2 of 10

The domain name for your business isn't nearly as important as it used to be...my business has a long domain name (allergyfriendlypastries.com), and it's not even the same as the business name (The Allergy-Friendly Patisserie, but "pastries" is much easier to spell than "patisserie").

The way I see it, people will be referred to your web site through other sites (in which case the domain name doesn't matter at all), type your business name into Google (again the domain name doesn't matter), or manually type in the name from a business card. Looking at our stats for this year so far, 51% of our traffic comes from referring sites, 31% from search engines, and 18% from direct access (i.e. someone typing in the URL).

If you feel like registering tccb.co.uk and redirecting it to www.thecustomcakeboutique.com you can certainly do that, but I doubt it will have much of an impact one way or the other.

Regarding email, IMO it's a best practice to funnel all online communications through a feedback form on your web site to encourage customers to include all necessary information. We don't even publish our email address on our web site. This also helps deter spammers -- it is trivial for spammers to harvest published email addresses, but most don't bother with a feedback form (especially when one or more fields is required).

WickedCakeHusband Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:32am
post #3 of 10

I like the full name. It is a bit long, but as Jason mentioned, it is becoming less and less important to type in the full domain name. Most people will just type your company name into Google and then look for the link. I think the shortened versions are actually harder to remember and sound too much like an organization or some tech company or something. Our company name is used in our address and it is kind of long as well (wickedcakecreations.com) and we use info@ for our email just like you mentioned. The only one it will ever bother is you, because you are the one that will need to write it out or type it frequently! Good luck!

FromScratchSF Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:46am
post #4 of 10

I dunno, I still follow the old marketing idea to try and shorten stuff - maybe the www.ccboutique.com or something like that?

If you register that I suggest you also buy the domains of variations of mistyping and make sure it redirects.

Jen

DanaG21 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:52am
post #5 of 10

I like the full name!

WickedCakeHusband Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:03am
post #6 of 10

I hear what you are saying Jen. My only concern with the ccboutique.com address is my mind reads that as being short for cupcake boutique. Maybe that's just me. I think the most I would shorten it would be to drop "the" on the domain name. It doesn't shorten it much, but it's a few less letters yet still has your full name in it.

WykdGud Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:07am
post #7 of 10

What about customcakes.whatever? Or something short, but not abbreviated?

idontknow Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 8:33am
post #8 of 10

thanks guys for your feedback, really appreciate it. my heart is telling me to go with the full name. I have looked for other non-abbreviated but shorter versions, like customcake, or cakeboutique etc, but they are all gone. the only option for non-abbreviated would be customcakeboutique.co.uk, and i thought well im just dropping "the" and having to use .co.uk which makes it longer on the end rather than using plain .com, so in the end it comes out the same so i discounted that option.

I understand that people now type in the site they are looking for and follow the link, and if im not mistaken having words that people would be searching for like "cake" and "custom" etc gives you better search rankings, no? i think im over analysing it and i should go with the majority of voters here who said go with the full name.

Jen - congratulations for your new arrival! i use your SMBC tutorial whenever i need to make SM, don't worry im not some weird cyber stalker!! icon_smile.gif

Dayti Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 10:18am
post #9 of 10

I like the longer name too. In written communication there is no doubt who you are and what you sell. Having said that, look at Mich Turner, her company name is long but her web is lvcc.co.uk and it does her no harm...

FromScratchSF Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow

thanks guys for your feedback, really appreciate it. my heart is telling me to go with the full name. I have looked for other non-abbreviated but shorter versions, like customcake, or cakeboutique etc, but they are all gone. the only option for non-abbreviated would be customcakeboutique.co.uk, and i thought well im just dropping "the" and having to use .co.uk which makes it longer on the end rather than using plain .com, so in the end it comes out the same so i discounted that option.

I understand that people now type in the site they are looking for and follow the link, and if im not mistaken having words that people would be searching for like "cake" and "custom" etc gives you better search rankings, no? i think im over analysing it and i should go with the majority of voters here who said go with the full name.

Jen - congratulations for your new arrival! i use your SMBC tutorial whenever i need to make SM, don't worry im not some weird cyber stalker!! icon_smile.gif

Picking an original name is hard - it's even harder to get the domains - my suggestion is to snatch up any domain that is slightly similar to the one you want if it's available and have them all point to you. I thought I had an original name until someone very recently from this site decided to try and open a cake shop with my name (or at least similar enough to it to not make much of a difference) - and snatched up all the domains close to it - they now all point to her site. Sigh. She's no where near me in location, but it's still a bummer to realize my oversight in 2009 has made it that much harder for my customers to find me now if they have a typo - they'll get redirected to New York. icon_sad.gif

And thanks for the baby love! BTW are you going to be using my SMBC in your new shop? All you UK people are making me feel global and stuff!!!

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%