What On Earth Is Going On With My White Cakes???

Baking By MrsBsFood Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 1:18am by MrsBsFood

MrsBsFood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsBsFood Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 9

So every other flavor,except white, I make from scratch. I have been unsuccessful at finding a no fail white cake recipe, so I use DH white cake mix. I usually doctor it a bit with an extra egg white and call it good. For the past few weeks, my white cakes have been falling apart into a huge crumbled mess. I have had at least three that were beyond repair and had to be dumped. I assumed maybe the extra egg white was at fault...so I stopped adding it. I checked my oven temp and baking times, and they are good. I have tried not mixing it as long, but then it seems I have clumps of dry batter to contend with. And my cakes are plenty cool when I remove them from the pan. What on earth is going on?? It's only happening with the white cake mixes. All the other flavors I bake usually turn out fine. I need to make four white cakes this weekend and I don't want to waste any more time or resources. Ideas? Suggestions? Recipes? I am at a loss and frustrated.

8 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 9

Are you using carton egg whites or cracking your own? I couldn't get a recipe to work right after the first time. I finally realized the first time I cracked and separated the eggs myself and the next few times I used the carton of egg whites. Even though the carton says 100% egg whites and the only ingredient is eggs, they don't work the same for me.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBsFood

So every other flavor,except white, I make from scratch. I have been unsuccessful at finding a no fail white cake recipe, so I use DH white cake mix. I usually doctor it a bit with an extra egg white and call it good. For the past few weeks, my white cakes have been falling apart into a huge crumbled mess. I have had at least three that were beyond repair and had to be dumped. I assumed maybe the extra egg white was at fault...so I stopped adding it. I checked my oven temp and baking times, and they are good. I have tried not mixing it as long, but then it seems I have clumps of dry batter to contend with. And my cakes are plenty cool when I remove them from the pan. What on earth is going on?? It's only happening with the white cake mixes. All the other flavors I bake usually turn out fine. I need to make four white cakes this weekend and I don't want to waste any more time or resources. Ideas? Suggestions? Recipes? I am at a loss and frustrated.

I have been having issues with DH cake mix for quite sometime. No matter what flavor I am using, it seems to crack and break on me. I try to only buy it as a last resort and then, I try to use it in a double or triple batch of cake batter, adding it to other brands.

I wonder if you try another brand of cake mix if you might find different results?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 9

Have you tried calling the cake mix company and see if they can give you any insight?

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 9

Try a WASC cake! Maybe doctoring it a bit more will help, I use it a lot for my white cakes (i usually up the vanilla and keep out the almond for a basic white)

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 12:09am
post #6 of 9

I agree something is going on with the DH white mix...it is what I use.The flavor is not as good,it still bakes the same for me though.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 12:24am
post #7 of 9

Just a caution. Yrs ago I had trouble w/my beloved BettyCrocker mixes. Called the company and got "OH NO, there is no change; no problems; you're the only one we have heard from." story.
In talking to other, both pro on message boards and home bakers I found all of them were also have problems. Don't remember how it finally worked out but don't be surprised if you get a similar response if you do call them.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 1:07am
post #8 of 9

I had a DH devils food and a DH rainbow crack on me recently.
But I have a new cooling rack and I thought that because the spaces between the wires were bigger maybe that was the problem!
I found the rainbow was super crumbly which was ok for the cakeballs I turned it into.
The chocolate I froze as soon as it cracked and just iced and covered in fondant while frozen.
I only bake for fun but it makes me mad when the "easy" part starts out bad!

MrsBsFood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsBsFood Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 1:18am
post #9 of 9

Well it sounds like I am not the only one. I may call DH just to see what the response is to my quandry. I have used their product for years, but have been having problems for a while now. I'll let you know what they tell me.

Thanks for the suggestion SarahL4683. This is the perfect excuse to give a WASC cake a try! I am not sure why I haven't before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%