Vent Had To Happen Soorner Or Later

Decorating By KCC Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 2:50am by KCC

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 8

A lady called Tuesday am for a cake for Thursday.My usual cut off is 72 hours I had Thursday off so I said I could do it. She said she had a ideal in mind and could e-mail them. I gave her my e-mail as well as have it listed on web site. She had to check with someone and I said i was on my way out the door to go to work and she could call to confirm that night. No call no e-mail! Called her at her # wednesday am and said I need to know if she still wanted to order as I had to go get supplies that am. NO CALL! I am out shopping on Thursday, my DD calls from home and said some lady wanted to know when she could pick up her cake! I told he to give her my cell # to talk to me. When she called I said she didn't call to confirm and she said she sent me an e-mail which I never got. "So I don't have a cake then?? " Sorry no I am sick to my stomach but did not now have the time to do a large fondant cake with special filling and fondant flowers an gold accent piping. I never had this happen and not sure how to deal except " Your lack of planning does not count as a emergency on my part"

7 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 8

That's just plain strange. She never even told you what she wanted or confirmed to make sure you received the email. Don't stress over it.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 8

I would tell her that you are sorry but you were unable to get a hold of her and therefore, were unable to confirm her order. You could not in good conscience create a cake for her, expecting her to pay, without her approval.

I would politely remind her that you left her your number and email, as well as made every attempt to contact her but that you could not complete her order without knowing what she even wanted.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 8

Too bad, so sad. If she showed as much interest in taking care of her last minute order as you did, well she'd have a cake now, wouldn't she? Don't bother worrying about it for one more millisecond.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 8

I agree! Don't worry about it for another second. Some people are not 'planners', or they procrastinate, or they're just plain unorganized and you can't let that ruin your business or stress you out. If you were never able to confirm with her and get a solid "yes", she should have known she wasn't getting a cake. I'm an insurance agent during the day and I can't issue an insurance policy without a "yes" and a signed contract. That's just the way it is.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 8

That reminds me of a car insurance commercial I saw the other day where the guy drives up a pole. He calls his insurance agent but she has to remind him that he dropped her for the cheaper guys, and yeah, you're screwed now buddy! I loved it!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 8

One way to--sometimes---avoid this type of run around phone/e-mail tag is to tell someone wanting to make such a short notice order is that payment in full is required ---very, very quickly--and that until that payment is made, the cake will not be started.

On this short notice--72hrs.--she'd have had to bring the payment, in cash, within a few hours and at a reasonable time of day. I'd have made it very clear that there'd be no grace period and that if she didn't arrive by that time, I would not be making the cake under any circumstances.

Rae

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:50am
post #8 of 8

Thanks all!! I am not feeling guilty now! And if she had actually placed an order she would have had to pay thru paypal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%