How Do I Get Slight Curve Of Doilie

Decorating By labmom Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 10:47pm by labmom

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone you have all helped me with the doilie cake and I have at last found the right items to get a beautiful doilie. I have been practicing with left over fondant but I am stumped how to get a slight curve to them. I don't know what to use. A cake pan won't work.. it has to be total suppport not just base around the pan. I have tried everything from a ketchup bottle, or milk bottle
Iwant to makethese ahead of time so I can just place them on the cake and not worry about them. Cake is due on July 30th

practice ones are just flat.. no curve.. but they look awsome. now if i can get the curve ...

3 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 4

Do you want them curved so they'll wrap around a round cake? If so, I wouldn't dry the doilies completely before attaching them to the cake. Too much risk of breakage. Plus, you can't be 100% certain you'll get the right curve.

If you want to make them in advance, I'd suggest keeping them sealed in a plastic bag until you're ready to use them. You can then take them out of the bag and let them dry a little so they're easier to handle, yet flexible enough to curve around the cake.

Another way to handle the doilies easier is to create them on a piece of wax paper smeared with a very light coating of shortening so the doily sticks to the paper. Then, you can lift the doily with the paper attached, glue it to the cake, then gently peel off the paper.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 4

What about a roll of paper towels, maybe unroll it until you get the exact curve that you need. If you have table space, you could arrange several rolls of paper towels, lay foil over them and dust it with cornstarch, and dry lots of doilies at one time.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 4

thats food for thought.. paper towels sound like they might work. it will have to be a big roll of towels so that I don't get a huge curve. just slightly. I tried them on a cake last weekend as a test and they did work straight but look better with that slight curve. the half doilies work ok with them being straight.

I thought about a large pvc pipe.. that I could cover and that might work too..
..i am going to check our local hardware tomorow.

any other ideas will be appreciated.. still have time to think about it and try things .. cake due 7/30

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%