Always Wondered How, Never Had To Do...till Now

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 5:33pm by ConfectionsCC

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 6

ok so I've seen a lot of cakes the have fondant ribbon wrapped around the cake at the middle and then a bow that looks like it's just stuck onto the side of the cake. I've always wondered how you do this? Isn't the bow too heavy to just stick by itself? And if you used toothpicks or skewers to keep it up, wouldn't the weight tear through the cake? I have to do this today and don't want to screw up the cake! Can someone please explain this?

5 replies
SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 6

I make my bows out of gumpaste, let dry, then attach to the ribbon with fondant or gum paste glue, vanilla, or vodka... depending on what I have around.

ToTheMax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToTheMax Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 6

When I stick any fondant or gumpaste to my cakes I use a gumpaste "glue" I mix the gumpaste powder mix (wilton makes this) with vodka until it makes a paste and use a paint brush to apply. It dries and hold anything I've tried so far. I haven't posted the cake yet but I will. It had small figures all the way around in diamonds held every one. Good luck.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 6

Use gumpaste because it can be rolled thinner, thus making it lighter.

I use melted chocolate to adhere my bows.

If, for some reason, your bow is unusually heavy due to its size or having to use thicker gumpaste (for embossing, e.g.), attach the pieces of the bow to the cake separately, while giving the illusion that it's one piece. Each loop goes on either side, then the knot is glued onto the center. Each loop should end at a point in the center with the knot covering the points.

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 6

i've done bows and used skewers to keep them attach to the cake. make sure to push the skewers into the inside of the loop, close to the center so you can't see them. royal icing will dry hard as well and will help hold up some of the weight

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Use gumpaste because it can be rolled thinner, thus making it lighter.

I use melted chocolate to adhere my bows.

If, for some reason, your bow is unusually heavy due to its size or having to use thicker gumpaste (for embossing, e.g.), attach the pieces of the bow to the cake separately, while giving the illusion that it's one piece. Each loop goes on either side, then the knot is glued onto the center. Each loop should end at a point in the center with the knot covering the points.

Ditto! If the bow is very large, or heavy, and this would include sugar flowers too...attach in pieces with chocolate. I prefer using chocolate because it sets quickly, and has a stronger hold than say royal icing would. If it were a sugar flower, like a large fantasy flower, I would make the center separate, and dry some of the larger petals and attach those individually to the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%