Gumpaste Magnolias W/o Cutters??

Decorating By Sarsi Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 4:10pm by Sarsi

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have any good ideas for me as far as how to make gumpaste magnolias without cutters? I need them for a friend's wedding cake, and I don't want to buy the cutters for just one cake!

Maybe if someone even just had a template for me of how the cutters are shaped, I could cut the pieces out by hand??

ANYONE??? PWEEZE??? icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you...that might help!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 7

I made a magnolia a while ago and I started with a large heart and hand cut the petals from that. I cut in a slight curve from the inverted point at the top of the heart and then trimmed the other intact curved side, starting at the widest part of the curve, so that it resembled the petals on the silk one I used as a guide (reminded me of a lightbulb). I used a daisy cutter for the center and nested the cone into 2 or 3 layers of the daisies.

I hope I explained that ok.

Sarsi Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 7

thank you!! Do you have any pictures of the finished flowers???

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 7

Let me first say...were I doing these now I would have ruffled the edges of the petals more icon_redface.gif. My flowers have come a long way since I did these...but I do still like the shape of the petals and the centers and would probably use the same technique again.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1584713/1584718

Sarsi Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 7

well, they are pretty!!! Thank you so much! Makes me feel more confident seeing someone else's dpne without cutters!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%