Has Anybody Used Bc Gluten Free Cake Mix

Baking By LindaF144a Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 9:30pm by coleslawcat

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 5

Has anybody used the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Cake Mix? I just saw this and it actually has no chemicals in it. Okay, Xanthum Gum is not a natural ingredient, but necessary for gluten free baking. But it does not have all the other chemicals found in the regular cake mix and no artificial flavoring either. I have gluten intolerant friends and would love to be able to suggest this for them to bake at home versus buying at my shop.

Here is a link with the list of ingredients:

http://www.glutenfreely.com/ourstore/desserts/140427

4 replies
rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 5

Gave a copy of "The Cake Mix Doctor - Gluten-free" cookbook to a friend, she's been very happy with the doctored gluten-free cake mix cakes. Don't know about the cake mixes without the extras.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondab

Gave a copy of "The Cake Mix Doctor - Gluten-free" cookbook to a friend, she's been very happy with the doctored gluten-free cake mix cakes. Don't know about the cake mixes without the extras.

Does this book use the BC mix as a base? I exclusively bake from scratch, but this particular mix has everything in it that I am putting together myself, so I'm thinking I am just making extra work for myself instead of using the mix. Unless there is a huge price difference, which I have not explored yet.

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, the cookbook uses gluten-free cake mix as the base for cakes and cookies. Our small mountain community doesn't offer a lot of variety in shopping, but Wal-Mart does carry the BC gluten-free mixes, so that's why I ordered the book for my friend who's son-in-law and granddaughter were recently diagnosed as gluten sensitive. She says the whole family enjoys the results so they don't have to bake one regular, one gluten-free to make everyone happy.

Amazon has the "look inside" option for this one so you can check it out in more detail.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0761160981/?tag=cakecentral-20

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 5

I've used them and they are decent. I think they are the best GF cake mixes on the market, at least that I've tried. They only make a 1 layer round instead of 2 layer round like the regular cake mixes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%