My Cake Boxes Are Never Tall Enough!!!!!

Decorating By Rendee Updated 7 Feb 2014 , 1:53am by Homebaking

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:00am
post #1 of 14

I am running into the issue of the cake boxes I get for my 9x13 cakes not being tall enough. I bake two 2in cakes and stack w/ filling in the middle. I have had to cut the top of the boxes off several times cause my cakes are taller then the box after they are decorated.

What do all of yall do??? Shoud I start making a 2 in cake and torting and filling it????
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

13 replies
Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:47am
post #2 of 14

My cake boxes aren't tall enough either, what I do is half close the lid and then tape the sides so that the lid doesn't move.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:24am
post #3 of 14

Have you thought of puchasing what we call over here Gift Boxes.
They come in different designs and colours - very sturdy - and taller than cake boxes.
If it is only to deliver your cakes in - you get to reuse them again and again.
If it is to give to the customer to take away - just factor the little extra price of said box into your final price.
The boxes i have brought and used are 4 inches high. thumbs_up.gif

If you are actually delivering the cake.... you could place some non skid mat on a tray - place your cake board/cake on the non skid mat - and deliver it that way -
You can stand a fly net over the cake to protect it from dust, flies etc.
Its safe and reliable carrying the tray - and no fear of the cake sliding or tumbling from your hands.

I love non skid matting - and use it always.
I place a large piece in my car - and place eveything i need to deliver on it...

Hope i have helped a little.

Bluehue

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:57am
post #4 of 14

I've propped the lids of the boxes up as well. My cakes are always tall! I've also used 2 boxes (one inside the other and "tented" the tops so the cake is covered for my carved/specialty cakes.

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starra328 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 7:21am
post #5 of 14

i prop open my boxes also and closed the opening with saran wrap and tape .

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 8:18am
post #6 of 14

I've never used saran wrap bc I worry that a fondant (mmf) covered cake will get too humid esp in the heat. Do you think I can?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:28am
post #7 of 14

The cake boxes I use are 6in tall, but even then with something like a figure on top, they are not always tall enough. In this instance I saran wrap around the decs over the top of the box to seal them. I also have stacked cake boxes that are 12, 14 and 16in cubes. They are $$$, so I don't give those away, and charge a deposit for their return if I have to leave the box with a customer. I have also use brand new moving boxes for smaller stacked cakes - they will only take a 12in board though.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 11:43am
post #8 of 14

Here you go...check this out. I found these on www.brpboxshop.com. I get all my boxes from them. They are awesome!

http://www.brpboxshop.com/750.html

HTH!

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:01pm
post #9 of 14

I use the "tented" method too. I add skewers or lollipop sticks taped on corners to avoid the top box from falling onto the cake. And I have also propped the lid and taped into place. I've even wrapped the cake in cellophane like a gift basket, people like that esp when it's fondant covered. They seem to get a kick out of it.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:08pm
post #10 of 14

For larger cakes, I buy cubes from uline... they have them in every shape and size.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 14

pinkpiggie, thanks for the tip on the cubes!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:38pm
post #12 of 14

You can make a larger box by cannibalizing two cake boxes. Take both boxes and cut off the lids. The cake will go in the bottom of the first box. Take the lids, and fold them both in half lengthwise. Cut these strips so you now have four long rectangles from the two lids. Take each rectangle, fold in half lengthwise and place one in each corner of the bottom box. Staple securely. This will act as four pillars and raise the area for the top box (the other bottom box which is now the "top") to act as a lid. This gives you a larger box height-wise. Hope that made sense!! icon_biggrin.gif

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks so much for all the great tips ans advice, I'm glad to know I am not the only one w/ this issue!!!!!

Homebaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homebaking Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 1:53am
post #14 of 14

Bobwonderbuns that is awesome thanks for the great tip :smile:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%