Can I Make A Cake The Night And Leave Out?

Decorating By Gymgrly Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 6:53pm by Gymgrly

Gymgrly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gymgrly Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:38am
post #1 of 11

This is the very first time I am attempting to make a cake. Yo Gabba Gabba themed red velvet with cream cheese frosting covered in fondant. My daughters birthday party is Saturday. Can I make the cake Friday and leave it out until Saturday afternoon or should I refrigerate? I am scared to attempt a never before done cake the day of the party so wanted to start Friday morning.

Thanks all!

10 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:50am
post #2 of 11

Yes, you should be fine. I never refrigerate my fondant cakes because I want to avoid the condensation when I take it out of the fridge so I just leave them on the counter overnight.

Some people question the cream cheese icing being out overnight, but I think you're good on that too because it's got so much sugar in it. icon_smile.gif

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:00am
post #3 of 11

I would refrigerate it just in case because of the cream cheese. Everyone's recipe is different, and you don't want to take the chance. I work in a bakery and cream cheese filling is something we always refrigerate.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:05am
post #4 of 11

I agree with yummy-in-my-tummy

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:16am
post #5 of 11

I've also left cream cheese icing out over night and it was fine. But I did refrigerate the left overs.

ShakyCakes99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShakyCakes99 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:18am
post #6 of 11

Just to tack on a question here...
Do you have to cover the fondant cake with plastic wrap while it sits out? Will it get hard if you don't cover it?

Thanks!!!

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:23am
post #7 of 11

When I make a quick cream cheese icing for my cinnamon rolls (cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, milk) I always leave it out a day (or two if there's any left) and it's always just fine

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:46am
post #8 of 11

I don,t cover a fondant cake with anything. If i finish a cake the nite before it is due, I just let it sat on my counter top.

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:47am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyCakes99

Just to tack on a question here...
Do you have to cover the fondant cake with plastic wrap while it sits out? Will it get hard if you don't cover it?

Thanks!!!

Be sure to leave it uncovered. Once you put fondant on a cake you want it to be open to the air or otherwise it absorbs all of the moisture from the cake gets really soft and kind of melts. I learned that the hard way when I once put fondant on a cake and put it in one of those cake holders. It was really wet the next day.

ShakyCakes99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShakyCakes99 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:48am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

I don,t cover a fondant cake with anything. If i finish a cake the nite before it is due, I just let it sat on my counter top.

Thank you so much! icon_biggrin.gif

Gymgrly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gymgrly Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you SO much ladies!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%