Copyright Logos

Decorating By 8366CakeMastah Updated 18 Sep 2011 , 7:42pm by carolinagirlcakes

8366CakeMastah Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:31am
post #1 of 7

i want to enter this cake contest. i was thinking of doing a beer cake theme. will i get in trouble if i did a Coors Light cake and use their logo?

6 replies
WykdGud Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:41am
post #2 of 7

If you are entering a contest, you are not making any money - you are simply showing your skill. It is my understanding that this is not a violation of copyright law, unless the contest you are entering expressly forbids use of any copyright images.

chocolate_luvr Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8366CakeMastah

i want to enter this cake contest. i was thinking of doing a beer cake theme. will i get in trouble if i did a Coors Light cake and use their logo?

As long as you eat evidence beforehand. Sorry I couldn't resist icon_lol.gif

jason_kraft Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 7

It would still be a copyright violation even if you weren't making money, and if you do happen to win the contest or place high enough to be featured, the risk of being caught would increase significantly. If you want to be safe, you can contact Coors and request permission to use their logo.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

It would still be a copyright violation even if you weren't making money, and if you do happen to win the contest or place high enough to be featured, the risk of being caught would increase significantly. If you want to be safe, you can contact Coors and request permission to use their logo.

I have seen you (jason_kraft) post a few times about copyright rules and you always tell people to get permission... is it just that easy? I would love to get copyright permission to use Disney, Dreamworks, and other things but just reading the Disney requirments as a home-based business it just seems almost impossible.

jason_kraft Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 7

Large companies with valuable IP like Disney don't always grant permission, but you can request it here:
https://www.disneyconsumerproducts.com/Home/display.jsp?contentId=dcp_home_help_help_become_licensee_en&forPrint=false&language=en&preview=false&imageShow=0&pressRoom=US&translationOf=null®ion=0&ccPK=null

If you do not receive permission you can still purchase licensed character toppers for use on a cake with a more generic theme.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Large companies with valuable IP like Disney don't always grant permission, but you can request it here:
https://www.disneyconsumerproducts.com/Home/display.jsp?contentId=dcp_home_help_help_become_licensee_en&forPrint=false&language=en&preview=false&imageShow=0&pressRoom=US&translationOf=null®ion=0&ccPK=null

If you do not receive permission you can still purchase licensed character toppers for use on a cake with a more generic theme.

Thank yeah I read through that on another post and well I am a one women show that works out of my house and have been doing it for the past few years but I am by no means a "company" that mass produces cakes. This seems like it is for store type bakeries. I will keep doing what I am doing and cross my fingers. I normally use plastic figures when I can but sometimes I hand draw out designs for buttercream work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%