Christening Cakes Without Fondant/marzepan

Decorating By lingoluring Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 8:40pm by sewsugarqueen

lingoluring Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 3

I´m going to do 2 christening cakes without marzepan, mine thougt is to cover the cakes with ganach, can i put gumpaste flowers and other decorations on the ganach without them melting? the cakes will be picked up the day before they will be served

2 replies
jennajane Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 3

lots of people cover cake in a crusting buttercream then use one of the many smoothing techniques. I have had a few requests for this, but smoothing buttercream takes some practice. In my gallery both the suitcase cake and pink bow gift cakes are smoothed chocolate buttercream with fondant accents. I have used ganache a few times under fondant and am wondering how much ganache one would have to use to get a smooth looking finish. Good luck, hope this isn't too late!

sewsugarqueen Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 3

I always did my cakes in buttercream frosting... crumb coat, dry then heavier second coat. I would let that sit for a few hours then decorate so the white frosting was a bit harder in case I have to pick off any strings of colour frosting.
I have used the stick knife in hot water to smooth technique ( I am really dating myself) I would use a long spatula to do that and wipe it clean every swipe on cake. It worked
I have to say I covered a baby shower cake with chocolate ganache... in your case make it white chocolate ganache. The look was great and I used buttercream frosting on top for decoratin... Does this info help any?

Quote by @%username% on %date%