Dome Or Rounded Cake?

Decorating By katj012 Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 5:43am by megpi

katj012 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a luau cake for a party coming up, and I think I've finally nailed down my final idea.

I want to make a two layer cake, and on the top layer I want to make a little layer that looks like a rounded island. Is there a half-sphere shaped cake pan or something that can be used for something like this? Or will I have to carve it?

6 replies
Dayti Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 7

You could bake a smaller 1 layer cake and carve it, or you could try baking in a pyrex or stainless steel bowl if you have one. I've never done it myself but I've read on here that others have done so with success. Reckon I would carve it if it were me though, less hassle I think!

katj012 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you! I will probably try baking in a bowl just to see if it works... and if that doesn't then carve it up icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 7

Half of the 3d ball pan would work too.

ame120103 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 7

I have baked in my stainless steel bowls and glass pyrex bowls tons of times and they work like a charm. Even the belly cake I did was in a large pyrex bowl.

Marianna46 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 7

Indeed, either a bowl or half of a ball pan will work. I've also baked tons of cake batter in bowls for one reason or another. You can still carve on it if you want to give it a little more detailed shape.

megpi Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:43am
post #7 of 7

I've done this before by slicing and layering the cake and frosting in a bowl lined with plastic wrap, then letting it set until firm before frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%