Gumpaste Question

Decorating By shrimpsey Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 1:23am by Lita829

shrimpsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrimpsey Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 5

Hello Everyone icon_smile.gif

I am making a cake for this Saturday and I will be using gumpaste for the first time. I am making a square and compass, I am going to use gumpaste and gold luster dust.

Would making this decoration tonight be too early? Do I just wrap it in plastic wrap until the event? Can I refridgerate it? Do I have to use alcohol with the luster dust or will water work?

I am a novice here, so sorry if my questions seem silly. Thank you!

4 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Shrimpsy,

It is really never to early to start your gumpaste decorations. I am working on 320+ gerbera daisies for a wedding that I am making cuppies for in AUGUST. Once your gumpaste item is dry, just put it in a container, away from light and it will keep as long as you need it to. No need to keep it in plastic wrap. When you will need the plastic wrap and bag is while you are making the decoration so that the GP stays soft and pliable.

HTH

Lita829 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry ...I didn't read all of your questions icon_redface.gif . If you want to paint on the lustre dust, you can use clear vanilla or I've heard of people using vodka because they both evaporate better than water. Add enough of the liquid to the lustre dust to make it the consistancy of nail polish. You can also just take a clean, never used make-up brush and dust it on without using the liquid. It will yield only a shimmer opposed to a "paint". It depends on the effect that you want to achieve.

You don't need to refrigerate the gumpaste decoration after you make it. just let it dry at room temp and store it at room temp. If the gumpaste is homemade and you don't think you'll use it all within a week or so, refrigerate it to extend the shelf life.

Good luck and happy decorating icon_smile.gif

shrimpsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrimpsey Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you SO much for your answers! Wow, 320 daisies!! I hope I get to that point one day. Thanks for all your help, looking forward to making my square and compass with my new tools thumbs_up.gif

Lita829 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:23am
post #5 of 5

You're welcome and you will icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%